What's new

Original RT Broken - What to Do Next

jharber15

Hi everyone,

I am a longtime lurker here ever since I purchased my original 64gb RT shortly after launch date. Unfortunately, the device managed to die on me this past week. I woke up to several hard errors (modern blue screen) and now the device will not turn on at all. I tried every trick that I could Google, but I'm now at a point where I believe that the device is dead. So, that leaves me looking for a new device. I currently have a surface pro for all of my work needs, so I am not interested in any of the pro devices. I really have three options

1. Purchase a 32gb RT and live with less space for 159 via eBay. I'd rely heavily on my onedrive space here, but go cheap to wait for the next round of devices.
2. Purchase a 64gb RT and extend my current use of the original RT. Still fairly cheap at 209 via eBay.
3. Splurge and get the Surface 2 with 64gb. I love the idea of buying this, but hate to think that the device will be "old" in <6 months.

It's important to know that I generally hold on to a device for 2 years. I don't upgrade with every refresh. I know that there is no right answer, but would love some opinions to help in my decision. Thanks!

Bazzer

What about the Nokia Tablet seen it in CEX shops and Cash Generators at good price £270 in Mint with box. Also Surface RT. in Cox at £210 Also what about the Toshiba 8 inch seen new at £149.

OP
J

jharber15

You are absolutely right. I am testing this week at home with my surface pro. Unfortunately, the weight and battery life are a buzz kill so far.

I am starting to lean toward the surface 2, but will take some time to decide. The extra horse power and battery life should make it a dream machine from my original Rt

vjh425

I would get the Surface 2. I just went from an RT to the Pro 2 because the RT was becoming laggy. If you already have a pro, I definitely say Surface 2.

EDRo

Surface 2! Mine has been nothing short of fabulous! At home, I hardly ever get on the desktop gaming PC (unless I'm gaming) or the laptop with full 8.1.. I can do everything from the Surface 2! Remote Desktop is awesome on it... Love RT!

OP
J

jharber15

I finally pulled the trigger on ordering another original RT. I was very happy with the original device and the price via ebay is insanely cheap. I ended up getting a 64gb RT for 189. I'll hold off until the next device cycle to upgrade.

Thanks for all of the advice!

MDS

You should be fine with the RT running Windows 8.1. I've come to the conclusion 64gb is the minimum, especially as the app store grows. Although I've never tried running apps of an SD card. Lots of folks stuck with the original RT when the Surface 2 came out because of the improvements in Windows 8.1. My wife did upgrade to the Surface 2 however because of the bump in screen resolution and processor speed. I know you already ordered a replacement, I'm just posting for the benefit of others who might search the thread. I do find it depressing you could not get four years out of your RT.

OP
J

jharber15

You should be fine with the RT running Windows 8.1. I've come to the conclusion 64gb is the minimum, especially as the app store grows. Although I've never tried running apps of an SD card. Lots of folks stuck with the original RT when the Surface 2 came out because of the improvements in Windows 8.1. My wife did upgrade to the Surface 2 however because of the bump in screen resolution and processor speed. I know you already ordered a replacement, I'm just posting for the benefit of others who might search the thread. I do find it depressing you could not get four years out of your RT.

It definitely was depressing that the hardware failed months after I was out of warranty. As someone who invested in the Surface when it was released, this was a fairly large investment for a tablet. It died while my original iPad is still sitting around the house for my daughter to play with.... it's just unacceptable. I'm hooked though, so I'm now typing on my new RT. :)

Bazzer

perhaps for fun and a learning exercise you could take old RT apart (as its got screws) and replace STHD seen 64GB at £40. As its perhaps the problem.

MDS

perhaps for fun and a learning exercise you could take old RT apart (as its got screws) and replace STHD seen 64GB at £40. As its perhaps the problem.

I'm more worried about how the hard drive will hold up over time than how long the battery will last. Glad RTs are so cheap now.

ibenzawla

Can't think of a better hardware and overall built quality. But misfortune can strike at any time. My RT remains as shiny and new as the day I got it and its not like I don't use it everyday and night. Heck even my two year old drops it every now and then while watching videos.