What's new

original Surface Book power adapter for Surface Book 2?

APierson

Hi, All -- I've got an original Surface Book adapter (model 1625; 36 W). Does anyone know if it's cool to use this with my Surface Book 2 15"? That one comes up with a much more powerful -- and much bigger! -- adapter (model 1798; 102 W). I'm sure that the larger model will charge the Surface Book 2 15" more quickly; but is there any harm in using the old, lower-power one if I'm not in a rush to charge?

Thanks!
Alan

chekhonte

Yes, it should be totally fine but it' will be providing only a little over 1/3 the power that the charger that came with it. Depending on the power mode, it may not charge faster that it will be using power.

OP
A

APierson

Thank you! That's what I figured. And what about the reverse? Is there any harm (or benefit) in using the more-powerful 102 Watt charger on the original Surface Book?

Orlbuckeye

The Surface books with the DGPU come with the higher power charger because of the DGPU. The lower power SB's (no DGPU) come with lower power adapter.

OP
A

APierson

Yeah, I know that.

But is there any harm (or benefit) in using the more-powerful 102 Watt charger to charge the original Surface Book?

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk