What's new

Original Type Cover Better

NGC

I have the original type cover from my Surface RT I sold. I was going to purchase the new backlit type cover but it has a terrible feel beside and on the trackpad similar to the rough feel of the touch cover. Why did Microsoft ruin a good type cover? Yes I'm fussy.

benjitek

I like the new one (never had the first version). One thing I really don't like, and will never get used to, is that there isn't light bordering the trackpad -- or at the very least, that it isn't a different color like light gray or something. Being the exact same color and material as the surrounding area makes it a huge distraction when you're trying to left/right click on something -- you sort of have to 'look' for it with your finger, moving the mouse pointer as you do so... As tiny as the trackpad is, I could deal with it if I could just see it :-( For just typing though, it's great.

lparsons21

I'm totally underwhelmed by the trackpad on the Type Cover 2. Way too small and 'draggy' because of the covering.

I use a Logitech T650(?) Win 8 trackpad instead, but would like that better if I could figger out how to disable the Cover's trackpad.

Ruffles

I have both. Here's my take. I love the backlighting on the type cover 2, the availability of multiple colors, and I like how it doesn't show figerprints as much. I like the touch pad on the 1 better because it's a different, smooth material and your finger can find the edges by feel. I also like the way the old touch pad physically clicked. Finally, I like having the volume controls on the keys with the original type cover.

Maybe the Type Cover 3 will be my perfect blend of both.

supersss

Doubletap on the Trackpad is right-click... one finger tap is leftclick. So i dont have to use the stupid false-buttons on the trackpad.

Korlon

I agree that the track pad is unusual. The buttons are very difficult to use and it seems very delicate to the touch. Every time I press one its very difficult to get a response, so I feel the need to press harder. I'm afraid half the time that I'm going to push right through the damned thing. The keyboard itself I have no problems with though, once I got used to the *ahem* short strokes of the keys.

hazymat

You aren't fussy.

I have the new type cover, but have used the original version as well.

Here's my view, FWIW

- New type cover lack of clicky feedback makes double clicking awkward
- New type cover lack of clicky feedback makes click-drag practically impossible
- Even single-clicking on the new type cover is difficult
- I know everything will eventually show visible signs of wear, but the trackpad on the new type cover looks UGLY after 2 months of use!

Why the velvet feel?

Apple's wonderful brushed metal material feels SO much more accurate.

CrippsCorner

If you don't mind me asking, what tasks are you using the track pad for? I guess I have mainly different uses to most as I use a mouse... but when my Surface isn't docked I'm pretty much always just using the touchscreen.

manonthebrain

IF YOU REALLY NEED A TRACK PAD THEN USE 'touchmousepointer'. TouchMousePointer - virtual touchpad (on-screen mouse)
it puts a track pad on the screen and stays in the task bar for easy access anywhere.
i put the task bar on the right side so when i need to i just tap the icon and use it with my thumb and you don't have to stay on the track pad it. scroll as much as you want, put it where ever you want and make it as big and as transparent as you want. its totaly free and works on 8.1

give it a shot

Last edited:

eee

IF YOU REALLY NEED A TRACK PAD THEN USE 'touchmousepointer'. TouchMousePointer - virtual touchpad (on-screen mouse)
it puts a track pad on the screen and stays in the task bar for easy access anywhere.
i put the task bar on the right side so when i need to i just tap the icon and use it with my thumb and you don't have to stay on the track pad it. scroll as much as you want, put it where ever you want and make it as big and as transparent as you want. its totaly free and works on 8.1

give it a shot

agreed. I'm using a bluetooth keyboard without trackpad while waiting for the Power Cover, so TouchMousePointer really makes up for it the times when I haven't brought a mouse, which I prefer not to do.