What's new

Other than this group/ forum, where can I get insights from veteran users on Evolution / Improvements in OneNote through 2010, 2013, 2016/19?

xbliss

Other than this group/ forum, where can I get insights from veteran users on Evolution / Improvements in OneNote through 2010, 2013, 2016/19?
I've been one of the earlier users of Groove (way back in 2005) and OneNote (since Office 2007).
I am currently still using OneNote 2010 and did a Side by Side install of 2010, 2013, 2016 / 2019 to compare them;
  • with some hope of major improvement in features or
  • richness of its structures & metadata/ capture of text & media over versions
  • 2010 did not pull Rich Text/ Tables etc into OneNote as well as Word or Evernote did.
  • Is the file format still the same or is there metadata that is not backward compatible
At first glance
  • I actually find the UI of OneNote 2010, take less space for more tabs (I prefer that) and
  • the rest of the app literally is 90% same in every MENU section & its buttons
  • So for most of Copy Pasting from a Browser, I see no benefit
--------------------------------------
SO I am wondering - What actual change/ improvement has happened?
  • In terms of different strengths & weaknesses (just brainstorming some below - open to all)e.g. I read somewhere that PALM rejection was improved
  • In terms of some specific scenarios, actions, features etc.
    • Is there better ability to SEPARATE & MANAGE - Offline ONLY OneNote Files / Notebooks versus those that can / are on Local Drive as well as Sync to Cloud (Live/ OneDrive, maybe Dropbox (LAN Sync)?)
    • I did read that "co editing" has/ had evolved in general Office e.g. Word, PPT, Excel, - Specifics relating to Onenote?
  • .. Open to all insights..

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
Major development on the OneNote Desktop client ended with 2016 - all major revisions for a few years have been targeted at the Mobile Clients (iOS, Windows 10, Online and some lagging on Android).

ScottyS

This is great news to me. OneNote 2016 has features such as the ability to copy text (OCR) off pasted pictures, saves me a lot of re-typing.