What's new

otterbox type bump case for Pro?

curney

Does anyone know of a case that provides more protection for the pro that is not the leather folio type? I'm thinking more like the rugged rubber cases that people put on their kids ipads. I do home inspections and love my pro but I need better protection.

Thanks!
Curney

perry

home inspector

Does anyone know of a case that provides more protection for the pro that is not the leather folio type? I'm thinking more like the rugged rubber cases that people put on their kids ipads. I do home inspections and love my pro but I need better protection.

Thanks!
Curney

Hey Curney,

As a home inspector in California, I had the same question about a 'bump case' for the Surface Pro. So I have been looking everywhere on the web and basically found nothing specific to the Surface Pro. As a current Fujitsu (Stylistic Tablet 1031D) user, the bump case is a no brainer and they provide great accessories. The bump case they have for my product is a padded canvas material with a shoulder strap. So whats up with Microsoft? There is a huge professional industry out there that does data entry in the field and needs to step up their tablet protection. I have visited the local Microsoft store - no help, called Microsoft - not only no help, they can not connect you with anyone that cares, very frustrating.

The one option, while not great, is to look into purchasing the new Fujitsu Q572 bump case and use it for the Surface Pro. If you look at the dimensions, you will see that it is within 1/4" in size and looks like it would work well. Of course the cut outs would not line up perfectly and it may require some modifications but its the only answer out there right now that I can come up with.

I would think that Microsoft wants to sell a lot of the Surface Pro 2 these days and the fact that they do not see the next step is selling to professional users is unbelievable. They should look to Fujitsu for an example of how to sell tables and accessories to professionals so they can increase sales of the surface pro 2. It would only take one phone call from someone at Microsoft to a manufacture that makes bump cases to start the ball rolling. NOT SURE HOW I CAN DO MORE.

here is a link to the case Bump Case STYLISTIC Q572 - Fujitsu Technology Solutions

Let me know if you have found anything?

Best regards,
Perry

oion

Hey Curney,

As a home inspector in California, I had the same question about a 'bump case' for the Surface Pro. So I have been looking everywhere on the web and basically found nothing specific to the Surface Pro. As a current Fujitsu (Stylistic Tablet 1031D) user, the bump case is a no brainer and they provide great accessories. The bump case they have for my product is a padded canvas material with a shoulder strap. So whats up with Microsoft? There is a huge professional industry out there that does data entry in the field and needs to step up their tablet protection. I have visited the local Microsoft store - no help, called Microsoft - not only no help, they can not connect you with anyone that cares, very frustrating.

You do realize that the vast majority of case accessories are made by third parties outside of any contractual obligation and not the device manufacturers, right? A phone call from MS isn't going to do it. Hence, the reason why there are a billionty options for iStuff is due to market forces. Surface commands a small fraction of the overall market, and MS is putting their resources into the actual hardware at this point.

So, padded canvas material with a shoulder strap? Sounds like an Etsy project. Heck, because there ARE Surface-specific fitted (p)leather folios out there, adding padding to the outside with a zipper or something might work out as well.

demandarin

I'd be very careful with a rubber type case. If it plugs up or blocks the vents, the pro would overheat very fast reducing battery life and the life of the pro. It needs to be able to breathe and for the fan to circulate the air inside.

perry

You do realize that the vast majority of case accessories are made by third parties outside of any contractual obligation and not the device manufacturers, right? A phone call from MS isn't going to do it. Hence, the reason why there are a billionty options for iStuff is due to market forces. Surface commands a small fraction of the overall market, and MS is putting their resources into the actual hardware at this point.

So, padded canvas material with a shoulder strap? Sounds like an Etsy project. Heck, because there ARE Surface-specific fitted (p)leather folios out there, adding padding to the outside with a zipper or something might work out as well.

Thanks for the feed back. Yes, I get the majority of products are produced by third party vendors, some good, some crap. The point is that if for some reason after being on the market for over 6 months and not seeing any viable 'bump case' products out there, some one has to get this going. I mention the manufacture (Microsoft) as it is in their interest to have their product (Surface pro) desired and used by as many customers as possible. As a professional products manufacture, Fujitsu has always made sure their customers could use their products effectively.

I am just saying the Surface pro is a great product that is being under used and undersold because of the limitations for use. One phone call of encouragement from the right person at Microsoft could crack this thing wide open.

Thanks again,
Perry

perry

Hey Curney,
Thanks so much for the find. I will look at this in more detail. Got a question, does it have a shoulder strap or do you carry the Surface in your hand. In the past I have also used a pouch on my tool belt.

Let me know, thanks again,
Perry

perry

I just carry it in my hand but it does have a hand strap on the back.

Hey Corney,
Thanks again for the info. As a home inspector we juggle a lot of equipment and move through homes with lots of loose stuff. I never felt comfortable only carrying or putting down my computer (not that I never did it). Having both hands free when needed makes a big difference in doing our job, being safe and preventing damage to our very valuable computer. So originally I did the loose tablet in the 'pouch' on the tool belt. Worked great! Then, for the last four years the Fujitsu with the 'bump case / shoulder strap'. Took awhile to get used to but really provided flexibility and really good protection.

I will keeping looking for the perfect case, and hope some vendor can step up and make a great product. As an aside, I just got an add / email from HP on their latest tablet. Guess what, even they are selling two different bump cases on their website with their tablets. Once again, Microsoft is the company everyone loves and hates all at the same time;)

Now that Microsoft is doing hardware, hopefully, they will go all in and make themselves and their products the undisputed best choice.

Happy inspecting,
Perry

Easyryder01

Incipio makes 2 cases for the surfaces. The one you're looking for fits the exact description for what you want. I tried it out and it is quite nice. It is a step down from an otterbox case. I didn't like it because I couldn't add the keyboard or use the flip out stand. But protection wise and the big strong strap in the back made it very convincing for someone like yourself to use it. Its a 2 piece system just like the otter box.