What's new

Our Surface 2's future?

kristalsoldier

I would seriously consider the RT platform as a companion device if MS released it in a 12" screen and 4:3 AR format. Plus, it should have the same kickstand as the SP3. A little better battery life - optimized for web work would be nice. If such a machine is released, then I would sell my iPad Air immediately!

Edit: Oh...one more thing: I would hope MS released a cover for it without a keyboard (it would be superflous anyways because in terms of dimensions, the existing Type Covers for the SP3 would work).

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
I think one of the more interesting things about the future of RT is that if the rumors are true, not only does Windows Phone and RT merge into a single SKU but that same SKU will be used on the ATOM Devices as well, again if the rumors are true this SKU will not have a desktop and will MUI 2.0 only....

No more ARM haters :cool: need apply....

TheNeighbor

Given the aggressive nature of recent malware RT maybe your best choice for routine use.
Exactly. I needed something to write my graduate school papers, and the Surface 2 is just perfect with the type keyboard with no worries about viruses. The 200GB OneDrive space makes this a whole lot integrated with anything I have anywhere anytime.

iPad? No. No multi- screen, no memory expansion, no USB connection, no integrated keyboard, no universal direct files transference and dependency to iTunes just aren't right. iPads are less practical, less functional and less integrated with everything else.

eljoe

i've been using an S2 for more than a year and i am looking forward for the next generation. it is the perfect combination for me: closed ecosystem (app store ), usable keyboard, kickstand, office and all the stuff we all know and love about RT and Surface hardware (despite having some official underdeveloped apps).

i would love a thinner S3, still 10 inches and with pen support. I was disappointed for not having a new release in 2014 though.

mohcho

I've been looking for one since before Christmas. They liquidated them all over Christmas and Boxing day (Canadian) sales. Can't find one anywhere. I called the Microsoft store and they couldn't tell me if they're end of life, but it appear so.

Any news on the next version?

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
Amazon showed a few in stock but I have had orders cancelled for stuff on Amazon because it was not available so they aren't always right or completely up to date.

When I was looking yesterday one site indicated it would be in stock Jan 9. It's possible not everyone bought an iPad for Christmas :)

I was hoping for a Tegra K1 based Surface 3 in the fall... nope. Then I thought maybe a Snapdragon 810 based Surface 3 but now I'm prepared to wait for one based on the Tegra X1 with Windows 10 RT although Id happily take it with 8.1 on it a little sooner. [ Tegra X1 8 core 64 bit CPU, 256 CUDA core Maxwell GPU, LPDDR4 ram, 4k 60hz display, eMMC 5.1 storage interface] ... this would be an awesome upgrade!

I hope they don't just let it die. I don't need the extra abilities and price of the pro, the size of the rt suits me, upgrading it would be great.