What's new

Our Surface 2's future?

oion

I hope something really interesting will be unveiled with Windows 10...
Another sticking point is the touch version of Microsoft Office. Any Surface ARM-based unit should have Office RT, though MS diluted that application suite's value on the Surface line since they released earlier to other platforms. I would hope a future Office RT is more robust in features than non-Windows offerings as well.

(There's eBay too, but... Kind of understandably scary.)

Fant

Now that microsoft has unveiled Windows 10 and announced a free upgrade for all Windows 8.1 users ... does anyone know if that includes RT? I didnt see the word RT mentioned anywhere which leads me to think there will be no upgrades for the Surface 2.

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
Now that microsoft has unveiled Windows 10 and announced a free upgrade for all Windows 8.1 users ... does anyone know if that includes RT? I didnt see the word RT mentioned anywhere which leads me to think there will be no upgrades for the Surface 2.
There was a statement at some point I think Nadella said yes they were working on RT also.

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
What isn't a surprise either is the Media creating controversy to get views. :) There's NO profit in a story on Win 10 RT upgrade on schedule... Nobody's going to read it. To get paid they need to get a swarm of people to look. Just like the accident on the side of the road will draw gawkers so too does anything negative.

Although, I'm doubting Microsoft's commitment to RT and ARM/WOA. They should be pushing this to its fullest capabilities. It was crippled from the start and may get even more crippled. If so it will fail because they made it fail by trying to protect Intel rather than fully commuting to making it the best it could be.

Last edited:

oion

What isn't a surprise either is the Media creating controversy to get views. :) There's NO profit in a story on Win 10 RT upgrade on schedule... Nobody's going to read it. To get paid they need to get a swarm of people to look. Just like the accident on the side of the road will draw gawkers so too does anything negative.

Although, I'm doubting Microsoft's commitment to RT and ARM/WOA. They should be pushing this to its fullest capabilities. It was crippled from the start and may get even more crippled. If so it will fail because they made it fail by trying to protect Intel rather than fully commuting to making it the best it could be.

It's all about buzz, so I'm not trusting the media interpretations on this since they helped screw up the first generation releases too. To this day, people insist that Windows RT is a "stripped down" version of Windows 8 when talking device comparisons when from the beginning it should have been compared to iOS/Android only. (Obviously MS had fault too, but c'mon.) I'm only waiting to hear more news about what Windows 10 features will make it onto the RT devices. MS shouldn't abandon their previous platform too easily... But I've also invested in imported subnotebooks that lost manu support as well, so it doesn't bother me as much as it might some. I'm happy as long as my device is usable, which it still is.

Getting the universal Office apps onto the old RT gens would be fantastic; hopefully that's possible, but who knows.

macmee

It's all about buzz, so I'm not trusting the media interpretations on this since they helped screw up the first generation releases too. To this day, people insist that Windows RT is a "stripped down" version of Windows 8 when talking device comparisons when from the beginning it should have been compared to iOS/Android only. (Obviously MS had fault too, but c'mon.) I'm only waiting to hear more news about what Windows 10 features will make it onto the RT devices. MS shouldn't abandon their previous platform too easily... But I've also invested in imported subnotebooks that lost manu support as well, so it doesn't bother me as much as it might some. I'm happy as long as my device is usable, which it still is.

Getting the universal Office apps onto the old RT gens would be fantastic; hopefully that's possible, but who knows.

Because it IS a stripped down version of Windows.

You can tell that there was disagreement within Microsoft from the beginning with RT. They went to all that trouble porting Windows to run on a completely different architecture with fundamentally different rules and concepts and then at the very last minute they put a restriction on the platform so that all that hard work porting Windows over was for absolutely nothing, they could easily of written metro app support on top of Windows CE instead and called it a day.

With the recent Windows 10 announcements and with the Hololens, as a predominantly Apple user and Surface 3 owner I certainly think Microsoft has, for the first time in a decade, one-upped Apple in terms of innovation. But Windows RT? It was beautifully designed and intentionally crippled by Microsoft. It was full of red tape from the start, which should have scared away every single one of its users-- and did scare away most of them in the end. For whatever reason Microsoft decided to turn a winning product into a Zune. If people in the forum like their RT tablets for its novelty in the same way as I like my WebOS tablet then I'm happy for them, but the rest of us will be voting with our wallets for a real Windows tablet, that has NO software restrictions.

I am surprised if the RT doesn't have a future. The RT has met my needs wonderfully. The size meets my needs and capabilities are exactly what I need them to be. I don't require the greater capabilities of the PRO, and I don't want to pay for them. I'm not saying I won't, but I don't want to.

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
Large ARM based Tablets don't have a future, but 7-8" do, the screen sizes we spec'd in Phone 8.1 Update 1 and is available in Windows 10. I would expect Lumia taking over from Surface for the ARM Tablets, but don't expect anything till late Q3 or Q4 C2015

InspectHerGadget

My wife will be disappointed if support is dropped for this tablet. It is a great tablet. I have the Pro 3 but I still appreciate the Surface 2.