What's new

Our Surface 2's future?

EDRo

So, I noticed the Surface 2 section of the forums here has been kind of dead for one thing..

But more importantly, I've been wondering what's going to happen to our fantastic RT device when Windows 10 rolls out. Will we get it? And what's going to happen to RT itself? Are we EOL'd? How long can we expect updates?

I'm just wondering if I should try to sell this thing (while the going rate is still up there a little) and uograde to a SP3...

it's sad though, because I really love this tablet! It does everything I want or need it to do. Really wanted RT to be successful.. I think it's the perfect tablet OS.

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
I hear there will be a Windows 10 RT. its supposed to run on Surface 2 and I assume also on Surface RT, don't know why not, I don't think the requirements are changing.

kundas1

well I still have mine and my GF uses it all the time as I do but once in awhile, with that said I think that would be a shame if they dropped the RT line as I will continue to use it for as long as I can even if they do drop it. but windows 10 on the RT would be great and I for one will install as soon as they roll it out!

toaf

i would think the least they would do it put it in the same range as windows phones, so i 100% think well get some kinda win 10 for arm

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
Joe B. stated we would see the Windows 10 Preview for ARM (Phone and RT) after the first of the Year. And since we expect the Consumer Preview around the same time I'll let you connect the dots.

oion

^I suspected something like that with the Win10 thing, sounds good. I'm still disappointed MS didn't get on the ball for MS Office on its own platforms, but eh...

I've been quiet on this forum because my attention was moved elsewhere, but I've been using my Surface 2 nonstop lately and just remoting into my PC for certain things. That will change eventually (going back to PC for majority of work/play), but I plan on hanging onto my Surface 2 until the hinges fall off or something, so whether the RT line as a whole survived or not didn't matter to me as long as my own device keeps trucking. The only way I would consider upgrading to a future mobile device is if all the improvements add up to something wickedly substantial for my purposes (like the jump from RT v1 to gen 2 was significant). I'm curious what MS has in store for us.

I'm also curious. I love my surface RT, and am considering moving up to another RT device when I wear this one out. It simply meets all my needs. I've considered going ahead and upgrading to a Surface 2, but if they're going to make an upgraded RT device I'd rather wait, because mine still works great.

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
I'm also curious. I love my surface RT, and am considering moving up to another RT device when I wear this one out. It simply meets all my needs. I've considered going ahead and upgrading to a Surface 2, but if they're going to make an upgraded RT device I'd rather wait, because mine still works great.
I don't think we'll see many new devices until Windows 10 gets closer to shipping...

oion

Which means end of next year, huh?

@brocharlieb: I had to choose between keeping my original RT or selling and buying the Surface 2, and decided that the differences and overall improvements were worth the upgrade though my usual device cycle is easily between 4-6 years. If you're thinking about upgrading since it'll be another year at least before a Win10 Surface appears (supposedly), you'd want to sell the RT this month and get a new S2 while discounts and holiday shopping season are in force. If you wait until later, you may have a harder time reselling the RT. (Though I haven't checked ebay of late to see how the prices are, and stuff.)

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
With that timing it will be 2 years after the Surface 2 release... shades of BlackBerry market mismanagement.

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
When I say closer, that could be anytime between January to July (I could see them releasing a 64bit ARM Tablet around the time of the Consumer Preview).

I was thinking of picking up an S2 during this discount cycle. Probably just keep mine, or hand it off to the wife, though. I don't often sell things that have had my personal information on them. I just have a pile of old stuff.

Last edited: