What's new

Outlook 2010 and Surface Pro

Mcfly

I just bought Outlook 2010 with the intent of installing it on my Surface Pro (If I ever get it, it's on pre-order :disappointed:). But now I am reading Outlook 2013 has touch integration.
Will I regret using 2010? Is it upgradable with MS to 2013? I guess same deal with Microsoft Office Home and Student 2010. I bought that also. Anyone had experience using both versions on their Pro?

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
Office 2013 is head and shoulders above 2010 in regards to Tablets and Touch Features, I couldn't go back personally...

vook

I tried to use 2010 since it was free to me. I then tried the office 365 trial (includes 2013) and had to upgrade. Office 365 is free for 30 days so see it yourself.

Had both 2010 and 2013 installed and no problems using either

Last edited:

bertopl

I really wanted to buy office 2013 but started reading about how the licensing is tied to one computer only!! in other words install it on your pro and if you upgrade later, damage your computer, or just want to uninstall it and use it on another machine, you're SOL and have to cough up another 400 bux or whatever it costs to install on a different machine!! I like to buy my software rather than use the subscription model as I tend to stick with the same version for a few years. we're still using 2003 at work.

-- berto

bertopl

that is awesome news bosamar, wasn't aware of that. so does the upgrade REPLACE my existing 2010 license? or am I entitled to still use my 2010 version (just in case I upgrade and want to install on a different machine) I still would be leery of upgrading my 2-machine install license for 2010 to 2013 if it somehow deactivates or voids my 2010 license as I still really hate the fact that the 2013 license is tied to a specific computer.

bosamar

that is awesome news bosamar, wasn't aware of that. so does the upgrade REPLACE my existing 2010 license? or am I entitled to still use my 2010 version (just in case I upgrade and want to install on a different machine) I still would be leery of upgrading my 2-machine install license for 2010 to 2013 if it somehow deactivates or voids my 2010 license as I still really hate the fact that the 2013 license is tied to a specific computer.

We purchased 2010 at work and the license transferred to v2013, it did not require a new 25-digit product key. Our work license covers two PCs. BTY I'm using Office 365 Home Premium month-to-month pay version at home now and love it. It's $9.99 per month or $99 per year.

bertopl

hmm, well judging from your experience & googling about it I dont think I want to take a chance and give up my 2010 license. there are numerous threads out there debating whether your 2010 license gets deactivated. however, I recently went back to school just to take a tax class and just saw that MS is offering a 4 year subscription to office 360 to students for 80 bux. :) I may go that route to try 2013 and keep my 2010 license intact.

rrk2013

The only snag to 2013 is that it doesn't work with exchange 2003. I know, I know, but my company is migrating next year, so I installed 2010 and have no issues. Yes it's not touch friendly but, it's not bad with a mouse and keyboard.

OP
M

Mcfly

Hmm, I called MS and asked specifically about Outlook 2010 stand alone and the person I talked to said it was not part of the free upgrade???
Then I look online at thier site office.com/offer and read the fine print:
Qualifying Office Products
The following genuine Office products meet the purchase requirement of this Offer. Please note that not all products are available in all geographies.
Office Home and Student 2010
Office Home and Student 2010 – Military Appreciation Edition (available in the U.S. only)
Office Home and Student 2010 – Canadian Forces Edition (available in Canada only)
Office Home and Business 2010
Office Professional 2010
Office University 2010
Office for Mac Home & Student 2011
Office for Mac Home & Business 2011
Office for Mac Home & Business 2011 – Military Appreciation Edition (available in the U.S. only)
Office for Mac University 2011
Individual Office 2010 applications
Word 2010
Excel 2010
PowerPoint 2010
Outlook 2010
OneNote 2010
Access 2010
Publisher 2010
Visio Standard 2010
Visio Professional 2010
Visio Premium 2010
Project Standard 2010
Project Professional 2010
Qualifying products are only valid in the following formats:
Full-packaged product (FPP) - traditional disc version that includes a product key and media obtained from a retail or online store
Product key card (PKC), point of sale activation (POSA), electronic software download (ESD) - includes a product key but no media, obtained from a retail or online store as applicable
Direct original equipment manufacturer (DOEM) - pre-installed on a new PC

So are we sure it qualifies??? I was getting ready to send it back but if I get a free upgrade to 2013 problem solved.

rrk2013

Yep, it qualifies. I bought Outlook 2010 in October, and got an email saying I was eligible for a 2013 upgrade.