What's new

Outlook 2013 problem

CargoMatatu

Hi, All.

When I got my SP I installed the free one month trial of MS Office 2013.

I entered my personal email account (POP) into Outlook 2013 with no problems.

When I went into the office on the Monday our IT Technicians set up my work (Exchange) account in Outlook 2013 and all appeared fine.
It immediately displayed all my inbox, folders, calendar entries, etc. All looked fine.

However, two weeks later I brought my SP into the office as I wanted to use it instead of my work laptop in some meetings and I have a problem.
When I open Outlook 2013 I get a pop-up saying Trying to Connect to... my Exchange account, and asking for my password. Fine. But When I enter my password the pop-up immediately re-opens saying the same thing, and failing to connect.

I and my colleagues can't seem to find any way to get it to work.

Any ideas out there, please?

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
Verify you are using your domain log in information - it should look like this:

domainname\user
Password

hotphil

Sounds like possible Exchange config issue if it keeps asking for credentials again. You/your IT guys may want to check Exchange Autodiscover and DNS is set correctly. Point them at https://www.testexchangeconnectivity.com/ also, does it work correctly when you're outside the office? If it works when you're say, at home on your WiFi then they need to be looking at the internal DNS resolution for their Exchange server.

OP
CargoMatatu

CargoMatatu

Thanks for your responses guys.
I would have replied earlier but have been away on a trip.
Yes, I've been using my domain log in information. It was set up by the IT guys and the pop up displays my log in in the form of username@domain and asks for my password.
I went to testexchangeconnectivity.com and ran the test. It says everything checks okay.
I guess I'll just have to try and find the guy that did my set up and see if he knows the solution.

OP
CargoMatatu

CargoMatatu

Someone in the office appears to have the answer.
I'm told that he is an absolute Microsoft nut, and what he doesn't know about MS products is not worth knowing apparently!
He has both the RT and SP and raves about them, saying they are the best bits of kit ever made!
Anyway, I digress.

He says that the problem lies with the fact that I have both my private email account (POP3) and the company exchange account set up in Outlook. Apparently that simply is not allowed.
However, he says the solution is fairly simple.

As this is my own personal machine, and not technically for Company use/convenience, it is fine for me to have my personal (POP3) email account on Outlook, thus running in desktop mode.
My Company email account can then be set up in the Start Screen email tile app, so the two will run independently and not conflict with each other.
I hope he's right!

He's going to help set it up on Thursday.
I'll let you know how it goes.

kristalsoldier

Someone in the office appears to have the answer.
I'm told that he is an absolute Microsoft nut, and what he doesn't know about MS products is not worth knowing apparently!
He has both the RT and SP and raves about them, saying they are the best bits of kit ever made!
Anyway, I digress.

He says that the problem lies with the fact that I have both my private email account (POP3) and the company exchange account set up in Outlook. Apparently that simply is not allowed.
However, he says the solution is fairly simple.

As this is my own personal machine, and not technically for Company use/convenience, it is fine for me to have my personal (POP3) email account on Outlook, thus running in desktop mode.
My Company email account can then be set up in the Start Screen email tile app, so the two will run independently and not conflict with each other.
I hope he's right!

He's going to help set it up on Thursday.
I'll let you know how it goes.

That's odd. I would have thought Outlook would be able to handle diverse sets of email protocols.

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
I have a On Prem Exchange Account, an Office365 Exchange Account and my personal email all in one profile in Outlook 2013, something is not right there Unless your IT Department has an EAS Policy about profile sharing (which I've never heard of personally). Typically I set up On Prem First.

Now since you added your POP3 first
close Outlook
Open up the Desktop Control Panel (Listed all using Large Icons)
Double Click on the Mail Icon
Click the button that says E-mail Accounts...
Click New... (upper left corner on E-mail Tab)
Complete the Wizard for you Exchange Account

And it should allow both accounts.