What's new

Outlook.com vs Google services

lordofpi

Hi all. Wasn't sure which sub-forum to post this in.

I really feel like ditching Google altogether (only reason I went there 4 years ago was because MS totally blew it with Windows Mobile updates, and I just couldn't wait anymore), but I just want to make sure I am not going to lose any functionality.

I am currently on the Surface Pro and use the HTC 8x as my mobile device. While MS did an excellent job in syncing up with Gmail's stuff (to the extent that they could), I think everything in my life will be much more seamless if I just start using Outlook.com as my point-of-origin.

Things I specifically am looking to keep: multiple calendars, advanced repeating event options, and the ability to "Send mail as..." (I have multiple e-mail accounts that I operate under the umbrella of my Gmail account; will I be able to do the same under my Outlook.com account?)?

hotphil

I was in exactly the same position. Loved MS phones etc, but they killed them by failing to update/innovate. I switched to everything Google.
Google killed Reader and I got a Surface so I started to put everything back MS's way. 25GB of SkyDrive is enough for me and I wanted everything to just integrate nicely. I've even started using Bing for search.
You should be able to do nearly everything you want to do through Outlook.com. Except (and there seems to be no genuine reason why) have a picture that you choose associated with a Contact. If Outlook.com can't pull a picture in from a connected service you don't get any picture. Oh, and Outlook.com still doesn't do IMAP if you need that. Also, not sure about advanced repeating options - might be worth having a check before you decide to make the switch (as a tip, there's more options available in the Outlook.com website than in the apps on a Surface).
Just go careful when moving/syncing data around and you'll be fine.
I now keep my GMail account just as a "recovery" address for Microsoft services.

kristalsoldier

I am also in the process of transferring my stuff over from Google/ Gmail to Outlook.com while keeping Gmail as a backup mail account - but this is only because it would be too problematic to inform all my contacts that I have switched. Of course, I do use the "send mail as..." option - both through the Mail app on my RT and Windows 8 desktop machine. Btw, what do you guys mean by "advanced repeating options"?

But I must also state one point, which I have myself found very odd. For some irrational reason, I find that I feel I have more confidence in Gmail than in Outlook.com - but I have no real reason or justification for feeling this way. Perhaps this is because I have been using Gmail for so long.

pallentx

I ditched all my Google services and was surprised at how easy it was. The killer feature of the MS world is Office for docs. I have setup my wife and kids with their own accounts with calendar sharing and family safety for the kids. Now if I can just get everyone to put their activities in the calendar!

OP
L

lordofpi

Thanks for the great replies. I think what I'll do is export my Gmail and GCal and Drive and import them and just run two copies of things for a while. If I am happy with Outlook.com, I'll just leave the Google stuff (it doesn't harm anything) and disconnect the account from my devices.

Good to know that the web app offers additional functionality.

By "advanced repeating options", I just kind of mean that I frequently have events that repeat on the second and fourth Tuesday of the month, or they are on Mondays and Thursdays, and I am able to manage each of these scenarios all under the umbrella of a single calendar event. Plus, if I make any changes, GCalendar allows me to modify the dates and times and repeating times for "this event only, this and all future events, or all events past present and future". They just make it super easy, and I'm pretty happy with it. I don't know if this would be considered advanced by the rest of you, but I didn't know how else to describe it.

And I never use contact pictures anyway, so I definitely won't miss them.

R0bR

By "advanced repeating options", I just kind of mean that I frequently have events that repeat on the second and fourth Tuesday of the month, or they are on Mondays and Thursdays, and I am able to manage each of these scenarios all under the umbrella of a single calendar event. Plus, if I make any changes, GCalendar allows me to modify the dates and times and repeating times for "this event only, this and all future events, or all events past present and future". They just make it super easy, and I'm pretty happy with it. I don't know if this would be considered advanced by the rest of you, but I didn't know how else to describe it.

Yes, there are frequency options in Outlook Calendar.

Sent from the SurfaceForums.net app for Windows 8