What's new

Solved Outlook Constantly Crashing

Inversion

3 days ago I returned my i5 256 for an i7 256. So far, all the little issues I had been experiencing and reporting in these forums seem to have gone away except for 1. My Outlook app crashes constantly. I also had crashing issues with the i5 but it seems much more frequent now. Does anyone else have this problem? Any solutions?

I had the same issue. Outlook 2016 hangs when you lose internet connection. This wouldn't be that big an issue, except that A firmware update broke my connection to my wifi 4g modem so I had to tether my phone, and subsequently every time I had to walk away from my desk to take a business call, outlook would crash.

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
3 days ago I returned my i5 256 for an i7 256. So far, all the little issues I had been experiencing and reporting in these forums seem to have gone away except for 1. My Outlook app crashes constantly. I also had crashing issues with the i5 but it seems much more frequent now. Does anyone else have this problem? Any solutions?

what version Office are you using? Are there any plug-ins being used like Skype for Business? How large the OST file?

An easy test create a new mail profile the mail control panel and add the accounts again if works the other profile is corrupted.

OP
Inversion

Inversion

I was using Outlook 2016 on my SB i5. Now on the SBi7 I am running Outlook 2013 as someone suggested that 2016 may not be as stable yet. Since I'm using Office 365, my local OST is tiny, less than 5GB as I only store the last 2 months locally.

Pretty sure it isn't a corrupted file because I just installed Outlook on this device just a few days ago.

Further noting I do not use any plugins and have made it a point to not install 3rd party software just yet (such as Acrobat) to determine if it is a device (or potentially a processor/driver) issue or the device itself.

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
I was using Outlook 2016 on my SB i5. Now on the SBi7 I am running Outlook 2013 as someone suggested that 2016 may not be as stable yet. Since I'm using Office 365, my local OST is tiny, less than 5GB as I only store the last 2 months locally.

Pretty sure it isn't a corrupted file because I just installed Outlook on this device just a few days ago.

Further noting I do not use any plugins and have made it a point to not install 3rd party software just yet (such as Acrobat) to determine if it is a device (or potentially a processor/driver) issue or the device itself.
I'm using Outlook 2016 (Office 365 E3 Subscription), I'm have no issues with crashing (this is with my SP4). One thing you can try is make sure that Outlook is using the Intel GPU and see if it is a driver issue.

OP
Inversion

Inversion

Quick update on this thread. Thanks to jnjroach, the Outlook crashing issues seem to have stopped (I will update later if there are continued crashing issues). Here's what I did.

Typed NVIDIA Control Panel in Cortana Search
Opened the app
Selected Program Settings
Under "Select a program to customize" - Select Microsoft Outlook
Under 2. - selected - High-Performance NVIDIA processor.
->Note: I tried "Integrated Graphics" first but it was crashing.
Select Apply on the bottom right.

I also did this for Chrome and it seems to fix that crash as well.

The Integrated Graphics option is more power efficient and I am hoping that the Intel graphic driver update is available soon.

OP
Inversion

Inversion

We can leave this as "kinda solved" because when I run apps on NVIDIA, they don't crash.

But when I run Outlook and other apps on the NVIDIA graphics selection, I notice a significant lag. It is to the point it almost makes this unusable because the screen can't keep up with what I'm typing. I did an NVIDIA update and I have the most recent driver.