What's new

Outlook on surface pro 4

Status
Not open for further replies.

ohbytheway

I am dissatisfied that Outlook on my Surface Pro 4 displays messages as if on a mobile phone and want to change it.

leeshor

Welcome to the forum

What version of Outlook? Are you really still on Windows 8.1? That's where you posted.

Thread moved.

sharpuser

Administrator
Staff member
@ohbytheway ,

Welcome to the forum.

It would be helpful if you send yourself a message and post a screenshot of it ("More Options" link below) so we can understand what you mean.
We can probably help.

OP
O

ohbytheway

here is a typical screenshot

Attachments

• 2016-01-09.png
    2016-01-09.png
    215.6 KB · Views: 831

sharpuser

Administrator
Staff member
@ohbytheway

I believe the issue you are having is due to the format that Prospect Magazine uses to broadcast their email newsletter.

This email appears to use HTML extended coding, including an externally-linked CSS, meaning fonts and margins and colors are extremely managed. This rather poor, non-standard, and outdated protocol is an attempt to force all email browsers and clients on all devices, big or small to look the same. Usually this is to cement advertising and other links onto the content, rather than have the local client strip them away.

Externally-linked CSS is also a favorite tool of virus creators, advertising trackers, and key-loggers.

Outlook is working as it should. If this email displays as what you would consider "correct" on other machines, such as desktops, it is likely because the email is being displayed as "plain text", not HTML-enabled, with CSS stripped away.

To view email such as this in plain text mode, go here:
How To Change Outlook Message Format To HTML or Plain Text

Hope this helps.

OP
O

ohbytheway

What about Amazon. Do you think they are sending emails in an outdated format.
Their message also looks like it's on a mobile phone

Attachments

• 2016-01-10.png
    2016-01-10.png
    182.7 KB · Views: 780

leeshor

Hoe about other regular mail being sent to you? It seems that various newsletters and/or notices are treating your Surface Outlook as if it was running on a phone.

OP
O

ohbytheway

@ohbytheway ,
1) What is your default browser on your SP4?
2) Have you tried switching the Amazon example you showed as Plain Text?
Using Chrome as default browser
Hoe about other regular mail being sent to you? It seems that various newsletters and/or notices are treating your Surface Outlook as if it was running on a phone.
I agree Outlook thinks it's on a phone which is why I started this trail, and if I switch to Plain Text there is a load of unreadable text.

Status
Not open for further replies.