What's new

Outlook on surface pro 4

Status
Not open for further replies.

sharpuser

Administrator
Staff member
The error seems to be caused by Outlook not properly handling newsletters which use CSS (Cascading Style Sheet) instructions properly, especially concerning display size versus resolution of the device. The problem is not you, but with Outlook and Microsoft. This seems to randomly and rarely occur, but the problem is known and not resolved.

If you are using Office 2016 or Office 365, I suggest you un-install, reboot, then re-install Office from Office.com . Make sure your documents are safely stored somewhere.

Let us know ...

OP
O

ohbytheway

I did as you suggested, uninstalling Office 365, rebooting and reinstalling from my account on the office 365 website. I was surprised that after the 10 minutes or so it took to download and install Outlook immediately loaded all my settings, accounts and previously received emails. Word had my documents history. I assumed that everything would have needed to be reset.
Since this I have received a few emails where in what I would call mixed messages, containing text and images, the text on my surface pro is still only around 50% as wide as on my laptop. What I mean is on the laptop the text expands to around 50% of the screen width but on the surface pro around 25% of the width

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
The same happens to most of my newsletters as many LAMP based Web Servers see the Surface Line as "Mobile" or some are using fixed pixel layouts when rendering content:

upload_2016-1-12_11-26-20.png

sharpuser

Administrator
Staff member
@ohbytheway

I just now got an email newsletter announcing a new issue from the website of a paper magazine to which I subscribe. Never paid attention before, but the email displays similar to what you are posting.

I would say that Outlook is handling the email correctly.

OP
O

ohbytheway

@ohbytheway

I just now got an email newsletter announcing a new issue from the website of a paper magazine to which I subscribe. Never paid attention before, but the email displays similar to what you are posting.

I would say that Outlook is handling the email correctly.

It seems to be an odd interpretation of 'correctly' Can you expand on this or send a link to the article please.

sharpuser

Administrator
Staff member
Here is a screenshot. My email address is redacted.
Looks precisely the same on my work desktop (Windows 7, Outlook 2013) and my iPhone.

Screenshot (26).png

OP
O

ohbytheway

Here is a screenshot. My email address is redacted.
Looks precisely the same on my work desktop (Windows 7, Outlook 2013) and my iPhone.

View attachment 7783
I'm under the impression that this message has been composed for the portrait format of the dreaded mobile phone rather than conventional standards of windows and even apple desktops. It's just that the Surface Pro seems to want to emulate this format for all messages, even when not appropriate. Shame you haven't been able to send a link to the article. What's the headline of the article, and the name of the author, I might be able to google it.

Status
Not open for further replies.