What's new

Outputting a higher resolution to an LCD tv?

rohanderani

Hello,

I have a surface pro.. and I am using the HDMI output to a 40 inch 1080 p LCD tv. However... I think when it is connected to the LCD... it can only output 1920... which appears somewhat unclear on the tv.... is there a way to go higher? Has anyone found the optimuim settings to output to an LCD tv?

Thank you!

machistmo

On my 40 Inch it was kind of weird and seemed that the entire screen was not visible. I only did this briefly as my Dell S2340T Touch-screen arrived on Friday.

machistmo

Are you extending the screen of your Surface Pro to the LCD TV or are you duplicating it?

I tried both. Neither yielded great results. The Surface identified the TV display as Samsung, which is correct, but did not appear able to get the image applied correctly.

ArnoldC

Find out the resolution of the TV and match it in Display Settings. My Panasonic is low resolution when compared to my Samsung and they're both the same display size.
Sent from my Windows Phone 8S by HTC using Board Express

Nuspieds

Find out the resolution of the TV and match it in Display Settings. My Panasonic is low resolution when compared to my Samsung and they're both the same display size.
But doesn't 1080p mean 1920x1080 resolution support? But I would still go ahead like you suggest and check the Display settings.

J515OP

Super Moderator
But doesn't 1080p mean 1920x1080 resolution support? But I would still go ahead like you suggest and check the Display settings.

Yep. A 1080 TV won't support a higher resolution than what it is. You can't view more resolution on any tv or monitor that is more than it supports.

Hello,

I have a surface pro.. and I am using the HDMI output to a 40 inch 1080 p LCD tv. However... I think when it is connected to the LCD... it can only output 1920... which appears somewhat unclear on the tv.... is there a way to go higher? Has anyone found the optimuim settings to output to an LCD tv?

Thank you!

1080 P == 1920 X 1080 in progressive scan.

The only issue I've found is that I have 240hz TV - which is wickedly clear, but the Surface outputs at 60hz, so it isn't as clear. It's still HD, but the lower refresh does yield a less clear picture.

Mr.NK

Super Moderator
The only issue I've found is that I have 240hz TV - which is wickedly clear, but the Surface outputs at 60hz, so it isn't as clear. It's still HD, but the lower refresh does yield a less clear picture.
Sorry but this is not right. Your TV just interpolates from a 24/30 or 60Hz to 240 from every source, so only movement seems less "blurry". (See here for more information)
In Theory every TV should produce the same quality given a specific input (like 1080p60). So it should do a correct pulldown/sharpening/interpolation of frames/whatsoever.
However, some TV's manged to have different memoryslots for setups for every input (eve it's just hdmi 1 or hdmi2) - so you'll have to check those. Additionally you should turn off overscan, so the pictures will be shown 1:1 (pixel given by source and pixel by tv) and not sized up to cut some possible black lines at the edges.

@rohanderani
What sort of miniDP to HDMI cable/adapter-solution are you using?
Sometimes the pictures seem to be not as clear, because of the sheer size of the desktop compared to the one with a higher pixel density of the original screen.

Last edited:

Jay Slasher

Check your overscan settings on your Surface, also check to make sure that your TV aspect ratio is set to 1:1 so that its not scaling the image up (this can result in blurry text etc.) the Surface pro outputs at 1920x1080 which is equivalent to your TV's capability's you will however have to calibrate your TV picture settings in order to achieve optimal picture quality. This can also include adjusting things like sharpness contrast and brightness.