What's new

Over heating or just normal?

OP
J

_JT

So again last night I was happily surfing away for a couple of hours on my SP3 and even watching a 30 minute 1080p video, the fan never kicked in to the noticeable level.

Then I plugged in the power cord and within a minute it was up to the noticeable noise level again even though I had already closed all apps and CPU/DISK usage was at minimum. So I thought maybe it was only happening when it's plugged in.
Not the case as I've just been using it this morning unplugged for light browsing for the past hour and the fan was as annoying as ever the whole time.

I just can't figure out what is triggering the fan to go off most times but not always.

OP
J

_JT

I don't have the i7 model, but the i5, but i have experienced the fan going off, too.
Did you already checked, if it is windows indexing what is causing it? Ctitanic collected some very helpful tipps in his thread here. Especially the indexing troubleshooting might be worth a shot.
Yes thanks. I've done the indexing fix/hack, also made sure it's not windows update running in the background, but seems to no avail. :(

Yes thanks. I've done the indexing fix/hack, also made sure it's not windows update running in the background, but seems to no avail. :(

I have i5 model but I also experienced the mysterious overheating/fan noise issue the other night. I had no apps open yet I noticed ~30% CPU usage and ~80 Disk usage. This lasted a good 1 hr and drained much of my battery.

I tried rebooting without result but the whole thing stopped by itself after a while.

What I did notice was that it was the windows installer taking up the resources (when checked with the Task manager). I have windows update set to manual so I'm not sure what the windows installer was "installing".

Next time your fan goes off again, check your Task manager to see if you have high Disk usage and see which process is using up the resources.

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
Windows installer can spend an inordinate amount of time sorting through which updates it has/are needed and whatever the heck else its doing/does and it has to do that just to let you know updates are needed and what updates have been applied.

I believe it works something like a blind squirrel with Alzheimers ... pick up each file I have and feel it, select one of them, store it in the files I have location, repeat until all files are stored. Note I don't do anything with this I'm just preparing for winter but I'll forget in five minutes and do it again later.
Check if there are files on the update server and get all the file headers to check against all files on disk. Check each header against all files on disk one by one to see if I need this one, if so store it in files to retrieve. Repeat until checked all headers.
Crap I forgot where I was ... l'll have to start over.