What's new

Overheating...Lost

bluegrass

Once again people suggesting to disable core functions to get stuff working right.

This is why Apple does not make a Surface. Kludgy half baked Frankenstein gui and thermal throttling because the device can't handle PC tasks.

Actually I'm pretty happy without disabling core functions of my klugy half baked Frankenstein gui Surface, that I don't have any reason to look for anything else.

kristalsoldier

XTU is Intel's eXtreme Tuning Utility and you won't have it unless you installed it, which many here have done. Other monitoring utilities may likewise not be all that helpful on a day to day basis. They are useful in finding out things you couldn't otherwise determine but prolonged use may be counter productive.

Thanks very much. You are right. I don't have it since I have not downloaded it. One other question. You also advised to turn the Update Frequency from normal (default) to low. What is this Update Frequency all about? Thanks very much in advance.

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
Thanks very much. You are right. I don't have it since I have not downloaded it. One other question. You also advised to turn the Update Frequency from normal (default) to low. What is this Update Frequency all about? Thanks very much in advance.
Go to the desktop and launch Task Manager. (touch and hold taskbar in the popup menu touch Task Manger)

if you have the minimal Task Manager display touch - more details.

Look at how often the information displayed on the various tabs is updated.

On the View menu change Update speed to low. note the differences.

Task Manager will use fewer resources and still provide the kind of information it should. it doesn't matter if task manager is not running... it only uses resources when you have it running.

kristalsoldier

Go to the desktop and launch Task Manager. (touch and hold taskbar in the popup menu touch Task Manger)

if you have the minimal Task Manager display touch - more details.

Look at how often the information displayed on the various tabs is updated.

On the View menu change Update speed to low. note the differences.

Task Manager will use fewer resources and still provide the kind of information it should. it doesn't matter if task manager is not running... it only uses resources when you have it running.

Right. Got it. Thanks.

MilesTeg

Bah! My i7 SP3 just overheated on me for the first time while doing a factory refresh. I turned it back on and the refresh continued with no problems but I'm curious as to why refresh process caused an overheat given that I have gamed on this and have had it out doors in 90+ heat (web browsing and OneNote use) and had no heat troubles at all.

dman27

Bah! My i7 SP3 just overheated on me for the first time while doing a factory refresh. I turned it back on and the refresh continued with no problems but I'm curious as to why refresh process caused an overheat given that I have gamed on this and have had it out doors in 90+ heat (web browsing and OneNote use) and had no heat troubles at all.

Seems to be sporadic. This happened to me only once on my SP3 I5 version during updates. Hasn't happened to me on the I7 version (knock on wood).

bangsters

Last night I played Infinite Crisis, and it got pretty hot at the back. However, not once did it shutdown or freeze due to overheating. And it was docked the whole time.

Only gripe is I cannot play full screen on high quality with a 2560x1080 external display. FPS was just like 13 to 15. But not once did it overheat.