What's new

Solved Overheating/Overworking/Fan on all the time SP3

Chris Grew

Hi All,

I did mention this in my first post, but will put it here again:

http://cloudyquestions.com/2014/08/...-on-windows-8-fixed-look-at-your-pdf-ifilter/

This made a huge difference to my CPU usage and I recommend you have a quick look if the fan is running all the time.

What I have also done is this which I have copied from a Microsoft support forum:

go to control panel select, “All Control Panel Items” and then select “Indexing Options”
open it
advanced
choose rebuild from the troubleshooting section
it would seem that an error in the index is causing this high cpu usage. I'm no expert but this solved the problem for me. windows search momentarily doesn't work... but the index is rebuilding so it will be ok.
it has nothing to do with indexing locations... I added the entire drive in the index and cpu usage dropped immediately after choosing to rebuild to 5%-10%.
there is a way of uninstalling windows search from programs in control panel. it's just a windows "feature". but I would advise against this as I have already tried that... and the windows 8.1 menu seems a little sluggish after this (also the OS in general).

Because I have over 100,000 emails in various archives in Outlook which I need to access, my indexing can take some time, but I reckon it was getting stuck. The above has made a huge difference.

Best regards

Chris

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
Good find. Id note the same issues could be caused by corrupt files or Outlook messages and stores etc. Just turning off indexing is a troubleshooting step not the final solution.

To complete the journey you must take the first step.

OP
Chris Grew

Chris Grew

Please do tell us what the first step is?

I have had this problem for many years and this is the first time I have managed to get over it.

Best regards

Chris

erandhawa

I agree. All you have done is circumvent the problem. That is a false solution.

I was having the same issue and re-indexing the files fixed it. On a friends Surface I had to re configure their outlook emails. I believe what is happening is during the indexing it gets stuck at a email or corrupted file and doesn't proceed passed that point.

You are correct it circumvents the problem, but determining what caused the corruption during indexing could be anything from accessing files that were trying to be indexed, installing new programs or even rebooting the pc at just the point to cause the issue.

Regardless this is clearly something MS should address but I personally would recommend letting everything download and index prior to shutting down to help ensure it goes slowly ( I know that can be a while I just indexed my outlook it was somewhere around 58000 files I am sure others have more).

Hope people have as much luck getting this fixed as some of us have, its a great device, but software seems to be causing issues for some people.

malberttoo

I don't see where anyone said to shut off indexing, only recommended doing a re-build of the index...

OP
Chris Grew

Chris Grew

Thanks for the input folks.

Here is a question for you.

I brought over my 100,000+ emails which are mainly in archives and then linked them to Business Contact Manager - BCM.

A lot of those are in my Deleted folders inside the archives. It is important that I linked this because I used Maximizer as a CRM in the past and once it automatically linked emails to contacts it would delete the email. What I obviously wanted to do in BCM is link every email sent and received to my contacts since I started emailing.

Based on your suggestions above, there could be a bad email in my deleted archives, which also include any spam I have deleted in the past. If I now delete those archives, will the 'linked' emails in BCM stay there?

I am off to experiment with this as possible solution, but thought I would ask as there seems to be a few computer eggheads on here!

Best regards

Chris

OP
Chris Grew

Chris Grew

Answered this one myself!

I tested with an email, linked it to BCM, then deleted it from Outlook. Re booted Outlook and the emails where still in BCM!

Good news!

So I have now deleted the largest, oldest and more unknown archive folder and that is my 'deleted' folder.

Looking better already. With my Outlook now being indexed, the CPU is only running around the 13% mark.

Have already started a better and more efficient email scheme. At the start of every day I quickly go through my 'deleted' folder and permanently delete the deleted emails. That way I won't get a large amount of rubbish that is harder to deal with. Will go off and look to see if there is a way to permanently delete emails when I delete them! ie they don't go into the deleted folder.

Regards

Chris

Paul Towmy

Hi All,

I did mention this in my first post, but will put it here again:

http://cloudyquestions.com/2014/08/...-on-windows-8-fixed-look-at-your-pdf-ifilter/

This made a huge difference to my CPU usage and I recommend you have a quick look if the fan is running all the time.

What I have also done is this which I have copied from a Microsoft support forum:

go to control panel select, “All Control Panel Items” and then select “Indexing Options”
open it
advanced
choose rebuild from the troubleshooting section
it would seem that an error in the index is causing this high cpu usage. I'm no expert but this solved the problem for me. windows search momentarily doesn't work... but the index is rebuilding so it will be ok.
it has nothing to do with indexing locations... I added the entire drive in the index and cpu usage dropped immediately after choosing to rebuild to 5%-10%.
there is a way of uninstalling windows search from programs in control panel. it's just a windows "feature". but I would advise against this as I have already tried that... and the windows 8.1 menu seems a little sluggish after this (also the OS in general).

Because I have over 100,000 emails in various archives in Outlook which I need to access, my indexing can take some time, but I reckon it was getting stuck. The above has made a huge difference.

Best regards

Chris

Wow! That's an awesome link and helpful point. Tks so much... looking into it now, will report back.