What's new

Overnight Battery Drain Loss Results

MickeyLittle

Hey Everyone I thought it might be a good idea to have a thread dedicated to overnight or extended time battery drain and see if your/my results are within the norm. I did run and install the firmware update yesterday. Also someone here might can provide some excellent tips for reduction in this unfortunate event.

There are a lot of variables to consider and I would like to have a running list of those if you guys think this is even a worthy thread so here is just a few to consider:

1) Your Power Plan
2) Background Services running during the night
3) Email - Number of accounts getting checked - Maybe Extremely High volume of emails coming in
4) Sleep - Hibernate
5) Let me know what I'm missing here....

So here was my first night's results:

29% at 11:00 pm - 10% at 7:15 am So it drained 19% over 8 hours and 15 minutes
1) Balanced Plan - I only changed the screen brightness as I wanted it brighter
2) I don't know this is out of my league!
3) 2 email accounts - With a total of 9 new emails overnight
4) Sleep is what the balanced setting shows for me

So can I count on losing around 20% on 8 hours sleep or can we come up with ideas to reduce this by 50% - 75%?

leeshor

Set your mail to sync or get mail when you ask. I don't know what your frequency is now but frequent syncing will use a lot of resources active resources use = battery drain.

OP
MickeyLittle

MickeyLittle

Set your mail to sync or get mail when you ask. I don't know what your frequency is now but frequent syncing will use a lot of resources active resources use = battery drain.

Can I do that during the night and get it pushed to me from 8am till 8pm? It's like I need push in the day and not during the night.

leeshor

I can do a quiet time on my phone 11-7 but not sure about your Surface. Hibernation may work.

OP
MickeyLittle

MickeyLittle

Hey Lee you can probably just close this thread buddy. I am just going to shutdown at nights and it doesn't look like it is of much concern to anyone else as there are probably too many variables to consider.

scfoster

I think this thread is important. One of the great features of the Macbook Air is its power management. I can just close the lid and come back in four days with almost zero battery drain... I'm not kidding. I have 5 email accounts that are all set to "push".

So, I'd like to see if this kind of performance can be achieved with the Surface Pro 3.

OP
MickeyLittle

MickeyLittle

I think this thread is important. One of the great features of the Macbook Air is its power management. I can just close the lid and come back in four days with almost zero battery drain... I'm not kidding. I have 5 email accounts that are all set to "push".

So, I'd like to see if this kind of performance can be achieved with the Surface Pro 3.

I know what you mean. This SP3 is replacing my Samsung Note Pro 12.2 which has a 13 hour battery and I can just set it on a table, go to bed, and wake up in the morning with maybe 1% to 2% battery loss at the VERY most. That's awesome so it would be really nice to figure this out, especially since I just raise the lid on the Note and it is instantly on but with the SP3 we are talking about probably 15-20 seconds. I know... not the end of the world:shocked:

ipaq_101

I am disappointed in the battery so far, even lowered the brightness....maybe give it a few cycles and hope it lmproves.

OP
MickeyLittle

MickeyLittle

I've achieved over 9 hours of battery today....

Yes sir I've gone almost 7 hours and still have 36% left. I haven't run it hard by no means but I've done my normal Saturday web surfing etch... I'm very happy with yesterday's time as well as today's. If I can't get the overnight drain controlled it will not be a problem to shut it down.

double07

Last night, my SP3 was at the low level by the end of the day usage. I don't remember the exact percentage. So, I plugged in the charger before I went to bed. I confirmed that the white LED light came on when you plugged in the charger. This morning, when I am going to use it. The battery level is at 12%. I was like, Ehhh??? I thought it might just be a indicated issue. Because I know I charged over night. After using it for 30min, the pop up said, Dude my battery is at 10% now, you might want to charge me...

Yes, this is very strange... I am not 100% sure if this is a operator error. Like, I said I know the white LED came on before I went to bed. I will keep my eye on this.

scfoster

Left the SP3 intentionally off the charger last night to see the battery drain. Was 64% last night and 61% this morning (7 hours later). More than I would like but acceptable. Left all the apps running when I closed the type cover (Chrome, IE, Excel, Outlook 2013, OneNote). So a fully charged SP3 would last about a month off the charger. Can't complain about that.

All SP3 power settings are bone stock (never touched them). I did notice that none of the email accounts were used while in sleep. My usual 100 or so overnight system/server status emails came in after I started using the SP3 this morning. Perfectly acceptable behavior for me.