What's new

OWA & iE 11

teknik99

Hi,

I have update my sp1 to 8.1 and when I tried too access my remote connection via OWA I could log in but not access files etc.

A bit of research indicates this is a known problem and relates to a change in ie11 and running Chrome or Firefox will only allow OWA light.

Does anyone know if its possible to keep 8.1 and downgrade back to IE10? or any other work around.

Cheers

OP
T

teknik99

Yes Pepper the first thing I did based on win8 with ie10 experience, but that doesn't work with ie11.

I hope MS have a solution soon because its a pain, given the pro is targeted at business professionals and this is one of the most common form of remote access to emails and remote terminal servers etc.

I can work around by logging into the VPN and using RDP but would prefer OWA.

Cheers

I hadn't noticed that light is the only option. Interesting since you're right and it is the way I always access my work email from home. For me light will work for now.

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
What version of Exchange are you using? I'm using OWA without issue but I'm on Office 365, so it is Exchange 2013.

OP
T

teknik99

Jeff, we are on sbs 2008.

Emails not the problem for me as I have other methods of getting email it accessing our Remote Server.

Cheers

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
Are you on RT or Pro? SBS 2008 uses an ActiveX controller for the Remote Workspace that will not work on RT and as old as it is I don't think it will work on the Pro. (Heck the Lync 2013 ActiveX controller is incompatible with IE11)

OP
T

teknik99

No I am using a pro which was perfectly happy in Win 8 & IE10 but the upgrade to Win 8.1 &IE11 has killed it.

From what I have read MS are aware of the issue but have not issued a fix it has to do with some core technology that has been part of IE since ver. 6 through to ver. 10 but has been removed from ver. 11

Cheers

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
Many of the ActiveX controllers have been deprecated in IE 11 and I've also noticed that the ActiveX Filtering is much more aggressive as well.

OP
T

teknik99

Hi All,

Thanks for your responses and input.

I have found a solution and hope it may be of help to others.

If you run dither run the page in unprotected mode or add it too the trusted zone everything runs just fine.

As Jeff suggests Activex filtering is very passive aggressive now.

Cheers