What's new

owner of orignal surface pro and surface pro 2

GoodBytes

If I don't expect to need more than 128 GB, do you think it's wise to buy a unit with only 64 GB and then add a 64 GB micro-card, thus saving substantial money over purchasing a 128 model? Would there be a downside?
Sadly, they are problems with the microSD card on the Surface Pro 2. For some reason, the CPU is under used by about 30% all the time when the microSD card is in. I don't have such card to confirm this report, but it seams like many have the problem.
Just to be safe, I would not trust it, and just use it to transfer stuff in and out of the Surface Pro 2 instead for a moment.

While I am sure that Microsoft will fix this issue. No one knows when. So it's going to be risky. I think spending the 100$ more for the 128GB is worth it. And will boost the resale value, I think, of the device.
Look at prices of SSD's, even IF you COULD upgrade the SSD, it would still be cheaper to get the 128GB in the first place built-in.

cdf3

I have both, and enjoy the second generation better. Battery lasts longer. When using it for extended periods, it doesn't feel hot like the original. Speakers are much louder on the second generation. Second kickstand angle on the newer model comes in handy. Especially when I fold back the keyboard, and let the kickstand rest on it. Web pages load slightly faster on the original model.

fonzman78

Sadly, they are problems with the microSD card on the Surface Pro 2. For some reason, the CPU is under used by about 30% all the time when the microSD card is in. I don't have such card to confirm this report, but it seams like many have the problem.
Just to be safe, I would not trust it, and just use it to transfer stuff in and out of the Surface Pro 2 instead for a moment.

On the other hand, I do have a card in mine so I can confirm that I have no problems with my microSD card. I keep mine in all the time. I use it to store movies and music. I just flew from SLC to Chicago which is about a 3 hour flight. I watched movies the entire way and I still had about 65% left. I fully trust my card and like that I have an additional 64GB storage space.

There are definitely reports of problems with others. I would recommend that you try it on your surface. This way you can confirm it one way or the other for yourself.

GoodBytes

I don't have one to test.

I am wondering is the problem is just a microSD card compatibility issue.
It seams to me, that everyone uses SanDisk microSD card.. I don't know why, maybe they are the cheapest? In any case,
What microSD card do you have?

If its not a SanDisk, then it seams we may be on a path in finding the solution to the issue.

fonzman78

I don't have one to test.

I am wondering is the problem is just a microSD card compatibility issue.
It seams to me, that everyone uses SanDisk microSD card.. I don't know why, maybe they are the cheapest? In any case,
What microSD card do you have?

If its not a SanDisk, then it seams we may be on a path in finding the solution to the issue.

I'm using a SanDisk Ultra 64GB card. GoodBytes, I truly appreciate all your comments and efforts to help others. Personal message me your address and I will send you a Sandisk 64GB card. I would be interested in your test results.

jefhart

If I don't expect to need more than 128 GB, do you think it's wise to buy a unit with only 64 GB and then add a 64 GB micro-card, thus saving substantial money over purchasing a 128 model? Would there be a downside?

They were trying to sell me a 64gb model with a 64gb card (all they had in stock) when another, more knowledgeable sales guy came by and said you can't install programs on the external card. IMO the 64gb model is just too small to justify the savings anyways.

mennogreg

They were trying to sell me a 64gb model with a 64gb card (all they had in stock) when another, more knowledgeable sales guy came by and said you can't install programs on the external card. IMO the 64gb model is just too small to justify the savings anyways.

That's not true at all.

Capture.JPG

Granted, those are mostly older video games, but I've had no issues installing and running them off the card (install times are slower as the card isn't as fast as the SSD). I wouldn't get crazy and run AVID or Photoshop off of it, but you can definitely run programs depending upon how intensive they are.

Korlon

I'm using a Kingston 1 GB micro card. That's not a typo, 1 GB. Anyways, I have absolutely no cpu issues because of it, it's been plugged in for over a month now.

GoodBytes

I'm using a SanDisk Ultra 64GB card. GoodBytes, I truly appreciate all your comments and efforts to help others. Personal message me your address and I will send you a Sandisk 64GB card. I would be interested in your test results.

Thanks for the offer, I really appreciate it, but I must refuse. I don't have time to start debugging this. I can only test it.
And I don't want to go through the trouble of sending it to you back.
In addition I don't have a P.O box (ie: not that I don't trust you, call me paranoid, but I don't like giving my address on the interwebs.)
And I am in Canada, which will make your shipping high.