What's new

P7 Plus Battery bar issue.

Herface

Howdy. I just got the Pro 7+ over a week ago and so far, find it swell however I've run into a problem. I put my device on the charge last night at a little under 70% and went to do my nighttime routine. Woke up this morning took it off the charge & it said surface has no charge. I thought I guffed up didn't put it on the charge & some rouge app caused battery drain. Plug it in & see that might not be the case. I see that the battery icon is not there but device manager says no issues. I restart the computer and still see no battery monitor. I delete the battery driver from device manager and then restart the computer to see it come back. I use the computer for 30 minutes & see that it is stuck at 100%, which has to be wrong. I delete the driver again and restart it to see the same thing.

Doing powercfg /batteryreport /output "C:\battery_report.html" was no help to me as it shows I am at 100 charge when I know that's not true. Will use it for 3 more hours to see what happens but this has me soured on my new computer I got 10 days ago worried that it may need to be rma. It's running the latest beta of W11 just like my Surfacebook 2 and Surface Pro 5 are, which don't have issues at all. Is this hardware or software related? How can I tell? I need my computer asap as I am going to a private event later for work that I need to use. My partner will not be happy if we can't get it to work as it just a headache to rma without a MS store. May have to tell the other two people we will be working with to bring their devices. - signed frustrated surface gal.

Edit: battery life just went down to 98% while typing this, which so far has been running for 30 minutes off the charger(which I assume charged the device to 100%). Hmmm a bit suspicious since I doubt battery life would be that good since it wasn't really at idle as I was watching youtube to prep for later. It's really fricking frustrating.

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
breathe, remain calm, give it some time, I think you'll be OK.
you might have experienced a glitch but it sounds like things are back to normal.

OP
H

Herface

breathe, remain calm, give it some time, I think you'll be OK.
you might have experienced a glitch but it sounds like things are back to normal.
Sadly the issue is there. I got back from my meating and the battery bar disappeared. Had to uninstall the battery driver and reinstall it again. Can't say if the percentage was accurate as I don't remember what charge I closed the device at. I want to say around 55% but when I got back to the Surface it was at 41% exactly,

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
ok, I think I'd either do a Reset or Reload the Factory Image to see if it can be corrected ... Honestly probably reload the factory image ... as the clock is ticking. if that doesn't resolve it I'd contact the seller for a NEW replacement/exchange within the 30 day window (or whatever their policy is), don't delay if you are not satisfied. If the seller balks, just return it for full refund then you can get another new one ...

OP
H

Herface

I got the device from CDW new so I have one year warranty still. Should I do a factory reset from the cloud or from the device itself? Could this be related to the SSD swap I did?

It happened again today after waking up from sleep & battery icon keeps turning on and off. Ugh. Also if I shut down the computer & try to turn it back on the device will show a low battery icon. So does that mean battery issue then? Should I return it or use the warranty?

Last edited:

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
I got the device from CDW new so I have one year warranty still. Should I do a factory reset from the cloud or from the device itself? Could this be related to the SSD swap I did?

It happened again today after waking up from sleep & battery icon keeps turning on and off. Ugh. Also if I shut down the computer & try to turn it back on the device will show a low battery icon. So does that mean battery issue then? Should I return it or use the warranty?
iv'e never done one from the cloud so IDK what to say regarding that if it's good or not. I doubt the SSD replacement is an issue.

what I mean by 30 day period vs Warranty is within 30 days if a device is defective you can usually swap it for another NEW device or get a full refund (times vary depending on ... ), A warranty replacement is usually a refurbished device.

Of course, if you still have the original drive you could just pop it back in and see what's what if it hasn't been overwritten, you would have to do that anyway to return it. if it works on the original drive I'd still reload the other one to see if that corrects it.

OP
H

Herface

Update, I've yet to do a system restore but I've noticed it only really happens in the morning after I let it sit overnight either on the charge or not. Cause once it's working I can' drain the battery to 20% & charge it back up throughout the day no issue. Like I said device manager shows battery is working fine. I even re-installed the latest surface firmware just to be safe. I guess I will be do doing a clean restore via the usb stick & go from there. Ugh

OP
H

Herface

Okay another update I was doing to do a recovery rest yesterday, but a few things came up and I couldn't. Noticed yesterday and today that the battery bar didn't go missing. However, I still have the issue where it shows 100% for way longer than it should and then it goes to like under 95%. Should I just deal with the hassle of making a recovery and start clear again or am I in the clear now? THanks

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
I don't really know for sure but I think I'd just let it ride for at least a few days and make a call on return or not return from there. As you, if I was uncomfortable with it, I'd look to get it replaced with a NEW one if I could. Maybe that's just the way some are ...

if anyone has similar or different experiences ... chime in.

OP
H

Herface

I dont think it's worth the effort to return it, was more asking about whether I should do a clean recovery install again to see if that corrects it?

Weemewer

I don't really know for sure but I think I'd just let it ride for at least a few days and make a call on return or not return from there. As you, if I was uncomfortable with it, I'd look to get it replaced with a NEW one if I could. Maybe that's just the way some are ... if anyone has similar or different experiences ... chime in.  
The nice answer!