What's new

Paint Peeling from Surface RT

kristdotm

I received my Surface RT a couple of month ago and have loved it, however a couple of days ago I accidentally dropped it onto some concrete. After seeing many videos, and also seeing Panos Panay at a Microsoft press conference drop the surface I wasn't too worried about there being any damage.

I picked up the Surface and found that it works perfectly but on the back of the Surface what appears to be the coating to the metal (not sure if it's paint or some sort of anodized coating) has chipped in a couple of placed and is peeling off revealing the silver of the metal. At the moment it's only a small part of the case but I'm concerned that over time this is going to start getting worse and peel more as it only takes for me to clean the back with a cloth for more of the paint to start coming off.

Anybody else have this problem and know if there's anything I can do to repair this?

Thanks.

OP
K

kristdotm

Hi, that's worrying that it can start peeling without dropping it or scuffing it in any way. I was hoping this tablet was going to be a lot more rugged than this. I'm going to try contacting support and see what they say, I do have a hardware warranty on this this until Feb 2014 but as I've dropped it they may not cover it.

I'm not certain, but I believe the "Complete" extended warranty from Microsoft may cover this kind of damage. There is a thread on this forum that may contain more info. I don't normally buy extended warranties, but I did this time because I was led to believe it covers accidental damage. Might be worth looking into.

R0bR

I was told by a rep at the MS Store that accidental damage is covered when I purchased the extended warranty.

compnovo

Hi, that's worrying that it can start peeling without dropping it or scuffing it in any way. I was hoping this tablet was going to be a lot more rugged than this. I'm going to try contacting support and see what they say, I do have a hardware warranty on this this until Feb 2014 but as I've dropped it they may not cover it.

I'd be really interested in hearing the outcome since I too purchased the extended warranty.

Chubnut

Just had a really good look at mine and noticed the tiniest bit of wear on the bottom right hand corner (but not the left) about where the device rests on a surface when the kickstand is in use. Nothing that I'm really bothered about bearing in mind how much it gets used but......this got me thinking....what would an all silver RT look like? Hmmmmm!!!

OP
K

kristdotm

I don't currently have an extended warranty, though the option is available for me to purchase, I'll be phoning support in the next couple of weeks as I don't have a landline to call a premium rate number at the moment and find out whether the extended warranty will cover things like this. It will definitely be worth the extra expense of an extended warranty if it does.