What's new

leeshor

I didn't say they NEVER use it as a tablet. It makes a great laptop. I just haven't heard of them having any problems when they did.

dajogejr

I didn't say anything about you saying "NEVER", I used your words, "hardly" in my reply.
I have over a dozen deployed, the majority of my users also primarily use it as a laptop, some on a dock.
But myself (Director of IT), my boss and my network admin all use it as a tablet as well, for home use, presentations, note taking, etc.
We all have the same issue. And we all use Firefox.
My boss, finance guy and tech geek, really started using Chrome more often in the last few weeks, he's noticed much less issues.
I'm just not a Chrome fan, and a few sits/services I use will not work on Chrome.

I'm sure you're in the same boat I am. Rarely hear of problems, but when you do...it's always led with "I've been having this issue for X weeks, and I thought it would stop happening....etc."

I hear that only slightly less often than "I wasn't doing anything, but THIS happened." My all time fav...

leeshor

Every SP4 I have configured has been slightly different depending on who I configured it for but I do make a lot of changes to the systems going through the icons in settings one by one. One of the few things I have changed on them all was to disable WiFi when sleeping and reduced the time to sleep/hibernate to 3o minutes or less. I think only one is using Chrome to any extent. I use the touch screen so often it becomes a problem when I get on a laptop that doesn't have one. I'm sure I look silly trying to use those screens to move around. I think there are quite a few people with experiences similar to mine and some are on this forum.

I know several people with SP4s that I don't directly support. They took some tips from me, mostly by phone, and I ask them frequently if their Surface Pros are running well or are they having problems. The answers are always yes and no in that order. All I can tell you is what I know from personal experience. I know one user in particular who simply turns his SP4 off when not in use and he happens to be the only person who has had a problem and it corrected itself (magically).

dajogejr

Funny how they fix themselves..:)

You also stated that you never use yours as tablet mode, which I do...so not exactly apples to apples.
I'd be curious to see if you have issues with the touch screen becoming non-responsive if you took it home, put it on your lap, used it for a few hours here and there with no keyboard.

hughlle

Super Moderator
Staff member
Funny how they fix themselves..:)

You also stated that you never use yours as tablet mode, which I do...so not exactly apples to apples.
I'd be curious to see if you have issues with the touch screen becoming non-responsive if you took it home, put it on your lap, used it for a few hours here and there with no keyboard.

Mine is used 75% tablet 25% laptop. No touch responsiveness issues. Only thing I encountered was this morning, the thing would not accept any mouse commands. Mouse worked, but clicking (or touching) did nothing, but the keyboard keys allowed the device to be used just fine, allowing me to restart. That's the first time i've seen that though.

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
We have over 100 Surface devices deployed at my firm (75% SP3, 20% SP4 and 5% SB) and 90% of the users use them as laptops. For us it is an image thing, the Surface Devices look really awesome especially in front of our customers.

I about 60-40 or 50-50 in the laptop/tablet ratio, depending on the day.

MaxBuck

My Surface use is less than 10% tablet ... but when I want to use it as a tablet, it's available. Meanwhile, it's a terrific, very powerful laptop.

dajogejr

We have over 100 Surface devices deployed at my firm (75% SP3, 20% SP4 and 5% SB) and 90% of the users use them as laptops. For us it is an image thing, the Surface Devices look really awesome especially in front of our customers.

Certainly understand that. When I show our users the wireless display adapter (old and V2) they're wowed.
I had an SP3 first, even with W10, never had this issue.

The other users with SP3 don't have the issue either... only seems to affect those of us on SP4s and Firefox users.
I completely wiped and redid mine this morning. Gotta love network storage and the cloud...

I'll see how it goes. Thanks for your thoughts and help.

coolowl

I hardly ever use the tablet mode either. I have had the keyboard removed twice (to set on the counter to read a recipe while cooking. I debated about buying a regular laptop but the Surface is light and silent. Those factors are important to me.

Last edited:

gtc

I have had a number of issues with my Surface Pro 4, but there are 2 issues that have not been fixed. The screen flickering when I dim the screen so I can prolong battery life, and the USB port on the charger can't charge the Surface Pro 4 and my cell phone at the same time. I have contacted Support multiple times and they act as though they have never heard of the problems before. I was told during my chat session about the charger issue, that they were trying to duplicate the issue in the office and were unable to duplicate it. The screen flickering seemed to also be an issue that they have not heard of. Well, after resetting my device twice for other issues, I was told after all the trouble shooting to reset my device again. A quick search of the forums brought up threads with the screen flicker issue. And a stop by the Microsoft Store in Salt Lake City, I was told that my charger issue is something a lot of people have come to the store about. The gentleman I spoke with said he personally sends an email every week to inform Microsoft of the reoccurring issues that people bring to their attention. The gentleman said the charger is something he has emailed in many many times. Why is it the Support associates act like they have never heard of these problems? Search the forums and it quickly shows there are issues that my be being ignored because the Support chat line associates don't seem to know anything. Please Mr Panos Panay, look into the problems forum members talk about, and more importantly, look into the Support chat line team and what they know and don't know about the products they support. Every chat associate is very very polite, but I have been let down multiple times; especially when one of the associates said she would contact me personally after she looked into the charger issue. Well, 2 months later I still have not heard from anyone about the issue after I was told I would he contacted the next day. I am a huge Microsoft fan and fully believe Microsoft develops the best computer products on the planet. Please educate the Support team and have meetings with them that inform them of the problems people talk about on the forums. Panos Panay, please keep up the good work on developing the Surface line.

I totally agree with what you say.
I'm a very worried surface user Sourface 2 Microsoft, suddenly died, that I do not work since December 2018 and I have it in a cartoon
I always believed the Microsoft and too many of my purchasing options were from Microsoft. I think that has changed the company. It has rolled up the pole and does not care what for the users.