What's new

Password Issues - Security

sk09

Hi all,
this is my first post but it seems quite a problem and may be a godsend for everyone.

First of all, I work in an Education establishment where the school has purchased 32 Microsoft Surface Tablets. The tablets are the first Surface RT, 32x bit and 2.00GB of RAM in all.

The problem: each surface has two accounts, Local IT one with full administrator rights and another account which Students use which is Locked down as far as we can without removing camera functions etc. We have been experencing problems where students are logged on and go into PC Settings and change the PIN set or make a new one or a new password which is causing various issues.

I was wondering if there is any way to hide the PC Settings altogether or a way to stop this happening? By editing gpedit.msc or through the registry even if thats possible.

Any help is greatley appreciated. I know of others suffering from the same problem.

Thanks

OP
S

sk09

Hi,
thanks for your reply. Whilst this worked and hid the option for changing the password it still leaves two options for Creating a picture password and creating a PIN in PC Settings. These options are available as the Surface User which would be the students which causes the problem.

photo.JPG

Thanks for anymore replies.

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
Have you considered using KIOSK Mode? You would need to determine what Apps are allowed but it would make the Surface into an Appliance. It is under the User Settings (Modern UI Settings).

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
Hi all,
this is my first post but it seems quite a problem and may be a godsend for everyone.

First of all, I work in an Education establishment where the school has purchased 32 Microsoft Surface Tablets. The tablets are the first Surface RT, 32x bit and 2.00GB of RAM in all.

The problem: each surface has two accounts, Local IT one with full administrator rights and another account which Students use which is Locked down as far as we can without removing camera functions etc. We have been experencing problems where students are logged on and go into PC Settings and change the PIN set or make a new one or a new password which is causing various issues.

I was wondering if there is any way to hide the PC Settings altogether or a way to stop this happening? By editing gpedit.msc or through the registry even if thats possible.

Any help is greatley appreciated. I know of others suffering from the same problem.

Thanks

Have you seen this guide?

Download Deploying Windows RT 8.1 - A Guide for Education from Official Microsoft Download Center

OP
S

sk09

Thanks for your help it's much appreciated all. I'll update the surfaces to see if KISOK is avaliable and read through Microsoft's Guide.