What's new

Solved PayPal/Hotmail issue

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
I am at work so will try pinging the IP directly and also try 'nslookup' when i get home now.

I was just looking at new modem routers online and have a question- can i use an ADSL2/ADSL2+ modem if I only get ADSL 1 at home?? Sorry for the silly questions but better I find this out before i buy the wrong thing. This is the one i was looking at http://www.officeworks.com.au/shop/officeworks/tenda-w300d-wireless-n300-modem-router-tew300d

Thanks everyone for your help :)
Any chance you could try your SP3 at work? Definitely do not do it if it would cause any issues or be against policy. Maybe talk to the IT person..

I can answer about the router off the top of my head... I'll try to look into that unless someone else knows...

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
When the Paypal page cannot be displayed does it have a Troubleshoot or Diagnose problem button on the page... have you tried using it?

OP
A

Alana Boma

I just thought of something else as I was putting the DNS instructions together ...
Try turning off the IPv6 in WiFi Properties, it's not going to work with an old router anyway and might cause a problem.

1. At the Desktop Press and Hold or right click the Windows Icon in the lower left corner, then select Control panel from the popup menu
2. Tap or Click "Network and Internet"
3. Tap or Click "Network and Sharing Center"
4. Tap or Click "Change Adapter Settings"
5. Press and Hold or Right Click the Wi-Fi adapter and select Properties
6. Scroll the dialog box and uncheck "Internet Protocol Version 6 (TCP/IPv6)"
View attachment 5441
OK or Close that and try connecting to paypal

To change the DNS follow the above steps 1-5
6. Scroll the dialog box and select "Internet Protocol Version 4 (TCP/IPv4)"
7. Tap or Click Properties button
View attachment 5442
8. Tap or Click "Use the following DNS server addresses"
9. Enter 8.8.8.8 in the first box
10. Enter 8.8.4.4 in the second box
11. Tap or Click OK.

See how that works...

I changed the DNS and this did the trick! I can now access PayPal only on Google Chrome but that's good enough for me :) Thank you!!

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
Your welcome.

That Tenda wireless N300 router should work but, I'm guessing a little based on ADSL connection you would be better off with a wireless N600 Dual band router. That place you linked didn't have great prices except for the model you linked to. You should be able to find a good deal on a N600 Dual Band ADSL modem router as they are not the latest technology.

There are several reasons Id recommend Wireless N600 though. First because your using ADSL for Internet your top speed will be limited and the Wireless N600 technology will be plenty fast for that so there's little reason to pay even more for newer wireless tech. If you shop around or look for a sale I think you should find a decent one in the 75-100 price range maybe a little more.

Second Dual Band 2.4/5 ghz is important as lots of equipment operates on 2.4gz including Bluetooth, wireless phones, etc which can cause interference.

Third, it has been shown that the SP3 will operate better with Bluetooth devices if the wireless is configured on 5ghz band so they are separated (Bluetooth on 2.4 and wifi on 5ghz).

Lastly, you have an iPad and an SP3 so I'm guessing you could afford a better router given the above reasons for doing so.

Hopefully that would resolve the other issue(s) and get you fully functional with IE and your SP3. The new router should indicate if it supports IPv6 and in the meantime Id turn it off.

Your decision, best of luck with your SP3. We are here to help any way we can.

Last edited: