What's new

Pen Accuracy and Calibration

I'm going to add to the threads of "is this normal for my new tablet."

The pen doesn't seem to be as accurate as it was on my 500T. I've calibrated using the stock driver and tried using the most updated one from Wacom. The one from Wacom is a little more accurate than the stock.

I know Wacom has issues towards the edge of the scree, but depending on where I'm at, it changes if it's too high, too low, too much to the right, or too much to the left. It's much worse when the pen is at an angle, but somewhat noticeable when the pen is perpendicular.

If I use the surface pen on my 500T, it's noticeably off as well, so I'm starting to think it's more the pen.

When you guys calibrate, how exactly are you doing it? I've tried different viewing angles and different angles of the pen. I've gotten it the most accurate when tapping not in the center of certain cross hairs. I'm not even sure if it's inconsistent in the same spots.

Any help is appreciated.

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
I found no calibration was necessary, my experience with the stock driver calibration was detrimental to accuracy and I don't want the headache of the WinTab driver.

OP
S

Sher the Love

I found no calibration was necessary, my experience with the stock driver calibration was detrimental to accuracy and I don't want the headache of the WinTab driver.

How much does the accuracy change as you move around the screen? Depending on where it's at, mine can be a millimeter or two.

mitchellvii

Just open the calibration tool and adjust your touch points until you are happy. You don't need to touch the center of each X, just be consistent where you touch them.

Ruffles

Run this to get more calibration points.

tabcal lincal novalidate XGridPts=10,60,110,360,660,960,1260,1560,1860,1910 YGridPts=10,60,170,330,490,650,810,970,1020,1070

OP
S

Sher the Love

Run this to get more calibration points.

tabcal lincal novalidate XGridPts=10,60,110,360,660,960,1260,1560,1860,1910 YGridPts=10,60,170,330,490,650,810,970,1020,1070

That did the trick! Thanks! They should really make that some kind of advanced calibration option.

Last edited:
OP
S

Sher the Love

I'm not sure if it's my imagination, but it almost feels like the calibration changes randomly in random spots. I also can't seem to calibrate it so the cursor is always in front. My 500T didn't need any calibration. I've tried the feel driver, different angles while calibrating, hitting different points on the cross hairs. The best I've gotten is the cursor is in front when on the middle edges, but it ends up going underneath the tip when in the middle. Does anyone have any further guidance? Possible it's a faulty unit?

I just calibrated with my stock 500T pen and it seems to be working fine. Has anyone had better luck with other pens? I used the Bamboo Feel pen with my 500T for about a week, but returned it because it made weird tails on the end of some of my letters.

Update: Since I have device OCD like most of us probably do on here, I noticed a weird warping in the glass of the display. I couldn't figure it out at first, but the center of the screen just felt different when inking. I came to the conclusion that it had a weird arch to it, enough that if you pushed on the center of the screen you could hear it come in contact with whatever underneath. It didn't do the same for the sides. So I exchanged it and this new doesn't seem to have any calibration issues. I haven't even had to do any calibration actually. Even though I got one with the slightly non-flush kickstand, I'll take correct pen calibration any day.

Last edited:

sweeptheleg

Im having similar issues and do a lot of sketching so this is another sad surprise.

The calibration doesn't seem to stick. It will be just right for a bit, but then slip back into being too many pixels off for me too feel confident a stroke will go where I place it.

this product is soo close to being perfect for me if they can work out some of these bugs.

OP
S

Sher the Love

Im having similar issues and do a lot of sketching so this is another sad surprise.

The calibration doesn't seem to stick. It will be just right for a bit, but then slip back into being too many pixels off for me too feel confident a stroke will go where I place it.

this product is soo close to being perfect for me if they can work out some of these bugs.

An exchange seemed to fix my issues. It wouldn't be a bad idea, before it's too late.

rp_guy

An exchange seemed to fix my issues. It wouldn't be a bad idea, before it's too late.

your new unit doesn't have any issues? i find the pen calibration/tracking is excellent in the middle of the screen, but it seems it loses resolution near the edges (ie. when you see the pen cursor on the screen, if you move it anywhere in the middle it will move pixel by pixel, but on the edges it is very jumpy and moves about 1mm each time it tracks)

OP
S

Sher the Love

your new unit doesn't have any issues? i find the pen calibration/tracking is excellent in the middle of the screen, but it seems it loses resolution near the edges (ie. when you see the pen cursor on the screen, if you move it anywhere in the middle it will move pixel by pixel, but on the edges it is very jumpy and moves about 1mm each time it tracks)

I think the outside calibration is normal for Wacom pens, at least from what I've seen.