What's new

Pen Battery Finally Ran Out

Philtastic

Just wanted to chime in to say that my SP4 pen mysteriously stopped working while taking some notes during a meeting on Monday. I went without my pen for 2 more days while waiting for some AAAA batteries to arrive from Amazon (got 8 for $5.40 CAD) and just changed the battery now. Pen is working again.

I got my SP4 at launch on October 24, 2015, which means that my pen battery lasted 1.5 years. Anyone else had to change their pen battery yet?

sharpuser

Administrator
Staff member
I have yet to wear out my pen batteries - also going since October 2015. I guess my time is about up!

hughlle

Super Moderator
Staff member
I've no longer any use for the pen, but since getting mine at launch I've gone through 3 batteries (well, I'm on the third). I did do an huge amount of inking though. Sometimes upto 6 hours of solid writing a day.

awwshoot

Think I made almost 1.5 years before my needed to be replaced.

Speaking of Pen battery, I used to be able to check the battery level with the surface app. It no longer shows Pen battery level after the Creators update. Anyone know if it was moved elsewhere?

sharpuser

Administrator
Staff member
...I used to be able to check the battery level with the surface app. It no longer shows Pen battery level after the Creators update. Anyone know if it was moved elsewhere?

I believe the pen is no longer 'polled' for battery status, the result of which actually saves battery life. The battery status is shown briefly when pairing the device, however.

This makes sense to me, since battery status is more often used for rechargeable interfaces, rather than removable batteries.

As another note, I've been noticing that AAAA batteries are becoming more popular in devices, and therefore more readily available in the USA.

OP
P

Philtastic

As another note, I've been noticing that AAAA batteries are becoming more popular in devices, and therefore more readily available in the USA.
While looking for replacement batteries, I was a bit shocked to find that this might be the case. Off of the top of my head, I can't think of any other device that uses AAAA batteries, but some mainstream stores in Canada actually carry them, such as Staples and Canada Computers.

ScottyS

My pens last 1 to 1 1/2 years per battery too.
I have a radar detector remote that also uses AAAA batteries, and yes it seems to me I see them more available now (like in CVS pharmacy on their battery rack).

awwshoot

I believe the pen is no longer 'polled' for battery status, the result of which actually saves battery life. The battery status is shown briefly when pairing the device, however.

I have some users who's pens stop working far too frequently and usually just need to open the battery compartment and close it again sometimes a couple week after replacing a battery. Went to check status on a couple of them and that was when I noticed it no longer showed the battery level.

Oh well, We not order AAAA batteries in boxes. LOL Figure it is better to be safe than sorry plus adds a little piece of mind since I think we may have a couple employees who have pen issues and secretly swap it for someone else's "Working pen when they are not looking. LOL