What's new

Pen Button Sporadically Works

rjbinney

My SP4 has been far more trouble than any other machine I've ever owned (including a 1973 VW Bug that leaked oil and had rusted floor boards). Now I am down to (what I hope is) my last gripe... But this will soon be the most expensive thing gathering dust in my closet, if I can't resolve this.

The button on my pen - the button you click for 1N, screenshots, and "Cortana" - frequently does nothing at all. All other inputs (keyboard, touchscreen) still work. The "right-click" button still works just fine. I can still write, click, and erase with the pen; when I hover it over the screen, the screen responds.

This has been happening since I unboxed the SP five weeks ago. It appears to be sporadic. I chiefly notice the problem when I come out of sleep, but I don't know for certain there's any correlation there (that's when I think to check). There are times it comes out of sleep and it's fine, and times when it's not.

If I reboot, it's OK. If I re-map the BT, it's OK. Until it's not OK. Pen drivers appear to be up-to-date.

I would appreciate any and all help or suggestions! (When I first took it back to a MSFT store (two weeks after purchase), I was told to create a new user and delete the old one. So I've essentially set this machine up twice. If I have to do it a third time, it will likely be on a Mac.)

Other posters I've seen, it appears the pen is always not working, so a replacement pen or mapping the pen is in order. I believe this is a different issue.

Pwscott

My pen button often doesn't respond in any way. Have it mapped to Evernote and Screen Clipper in Surface app..

Votality

My SP4 has been far more trouble than any other machine I've ever owned (including a 1973 VW Bug that leaked oil and had rusted floor boards). Now I am down to (what I hope is) my last gripe... But this will soon be the most expensive thing gathering dust in my closet, if I can't resolve this.

The button on my pen - the button you click for 1N, screenshots, and "Cortana" - frequently does nothing at all. All other inputs (keyboard, touchscreen) still work. The "right-click" button still works just fine. I can still write, click, and erase with the pen; when I hover it over the screen, the screen responds.

This has been happening since I unboxed the SP five weeks ago. It appears to be sporadic. I chiefly notice the problem when I come out of sleep, but I don't know for certain there's any correlation there (that's when I think to check). There are times it comes out of sleep and it's fine, and times when it's not.

If I reboot, it's OK. If I re-map the BT, it's OK. Until it's not OK. Pen drivers appear to be up-to-date.

I would appreciate any and all help or suggestions! (When I first took it back to a MSFT store (two weeks after purchase), I was told to create a new user and delete the old one. So I've essentially set this machine up twice. If I have to do it a third time, it will likely be on a Mac.)

Other posters I've seen, it appears the pen is always not working, so a replacement pen or mapping the pen is in order. I believe this is a different issue.

Could be the pen. Have you tried a new battery first?

OP
rjbinney

rjbinney

It's a brand new machine/pen/battery.

Before I go track down a AAAA battery, how would a weak battery explain that it happens sporadically, and "resets" with a reboot/remapping?

Votality

It's a brand new machine/pen/battery.

Before I go track down a AAAA battery, how would a weak battery explain that it happens sporadically, and "resets" with a reboot/remapping?

My bluetooth mouse when the battery has low power often disconnects. Usually i don't re-pair it immediately so the battery recovers voltage slightly, pairs then disconnects again. Most people notice this in their remotes. They are flat, pull the batteries out put them back in they work for a few presses. You can repeat that a few times until they are totally dead.

Your issue most certainly could be something else, but i would rule out the battery first. My battery that come with it was near flat when i got it.

Last edited:

seth0987654321

My pen does the same thing. It never opens 1note after sleep. The battery is 100% according to the SP4.

It would be really cool to just open the screen, push the button, and take a note. (like advertised)

iliketoys

My wifes SP3 and my SP4 both occasionally have this problem seemingly out of sleep mode but not every time. Pens/batteries work fine otherwise. I tried uninstalling drivers, and remapping bluetooth with no luck.