What's new

Solved Pen buttons open OneNote, but pen won't write

JohnCohorn

So I'm trying out an SP4 and am having trouble getting the pen to work. The pen does show to be paired via Bluetooth and pressing the button up top will trigger actions like launching OneNote. I can't for the life of me seem to get it to write though. Hovering over the screen does not show the hover indicator and trying to write in OneNote, Edge, or Drawboard yields no response. Anything I might be missing or is there likely just a defect in the pen?

hughlle

Super Moderator
Staff member
Have you inserted the AAAA battery? If you have, and still experience it then get on live chat to MS

OP
J

JohnCohorn

Thanks for the replies. It turned out to be a problem with the lower part of the pen. Some paper thin metal contacts inside had detached from the barrel. I made it to the local MS store they exchanged the pen with no fuss.

dcoplien

I had the same problem plus loosing my touch and having to reboot. Took my tablet to a store with demos and the pens all worked fine so I knew it was the pen and not the tablet. They swapped my pen for a new one and haven't had any pen or touch problems since.

OneManGang

So I'm trying out an SP4 and am having trouble getting the pen to work. The pen does show to be paired via Bluetooth and pressing the button up top will trigger actions like launching OneNote. I can't for the life of me seem to get it to write though. Hovering over the screen does not show the hover indicator and trying to write in OneNote, Edge, or Drawboard yields no response. Anything I might be missing or is there likely just a defect in the pen?

SAME trouble, month old S4Pro. worked good, then just stopped. would still open onenote and double click screen grab. removed battery, reinstalled battery. worked fine.