What's new

Pen Performance

InspectHerGadget

I think the powered pen idea has some downside. I never had any issues with the writing on the SP2 but with the SP3 it is a bit more flakey. Today the pen decided not to work a few times while I was out. It woke up OneNote then wouldn't write. I also find that the palm recognition is reliant on the pen not your palm resting on the screen so sometimes the page can suddenly scroll or switch to another page.
If it weren't for all the good points the SP3 has, I would send it back as the handwriting even when nothing happens, I always lack that confidence I had with the SP2 which ALWAYS WORKED. I also find the handwriting nicer on the SP2, it just flowed better.
I'm into my second week with m i7 and while I love it, I don't love the writing part of it, just too flakey

Liam2349

Palm rejection works if you put your palm on the screen without the pen, but it depends on how you position your palm and how much contact is made. If I rest my fist on the screen, it is recognised as something other than a finger and is blocked.

I don't think the batteries effect writing.

OP
I

InspectHerGadget

Whatever the reason, I think the active pen idea isn't sound. The sensors for the Wacom pen input were evidently built into the screen as was the palm rejection. There is 100% capture of pen input and not subject to the occasional vagaries of bluetooth communication or whether your palm hits the screen before the pen activates.

I understand why Microsoft did it but I can't help thinking that this is one of the few fails on the SP3. I know a thin screen is great but honestly, EVERYTHING is better on the SP3 EXCEPT for the WRITING.

I only use it to scribble notes but pulling the pen out and either finding it doesn't work, or it scrolls away to the right so your text disappears, or it flicks to a completely different pages is a pisser. Every time I use it now I tense slightly wondering if it is going to behave or not. The trouble is I use it at every job I do even if it is just for short notes. The writing itself is also not quite as fluid or nice as on the SP2. I don't see any cure for this. I either accept this or return it to Microsoft for a refund.

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
If you learn (and accept) the quirks of the N-trig Digitizer and will work as reliably as Wacom with the added benefit over no corner craziness like Wacom.

The key with N-Trig is to touch the tip first then palm. The reason it appears the Wacom uses palm recognition is the EMR Technology has a higher hover then N-trig. The funny part, Wacom is introducing a single layer (battery in pen) digitizer that is like N-trig, Amtel and Synaptics because they are starting to lose the highly mobile market.

OP
I

InspectHerGadget

I understand the problem but it doesn't affect the behaviour. I want something that is totally solid which the handwriting in the SP3 isn't. I mean corners and edges and parallax are all real issues although for me the first two are non existent for the way I use it. Parallax, yes, it is a few tenths of one millimetre less in the SP3. It does allow a thinner screen and is probably cheaper to put the sensor in the pen too.

The bottom line to me is it has become annoying. If I used writing once a week I would certainly put up with a few idiosyncrasies as the SP3 is fantastic in every other measure. I use it several times a day for writing and sometimes double that so it is going back to Microsoft. I will miss it though but on the other hand I do love the handwriting on the SP2 and ironically that is one of the major reasons I was influenced to buy the SP3 as I am totally sold on the Surface concept.

mcsenerd

Maybe I'm just lucky, but I take notes like crazy (EVERY DAY) in OneNote, and I have found the N-Trig on the SP3 to be as good if not better in some ways than the experience on the SP2 and SP1. Maybe I'm just holding it right :-D

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
Sorry, I don't have issues with inking on my SP3 and I do all day every day, it has been rock solid in both the Desktop and MUI version of OneNote. I've been inking on Tablet PCs since 2002 and the SP3 is the best device I've used...

Tsurugaya

It it took me a few sessions before I got used to inking on the SP3, but now there is no difference between my devices. But I will say that the Samsung Galaxy Note 8 is the most comfortable inking device I have, however, the versatility of the SP3 is unequaled.

megatronium

I understand the problem but it doesn't affect the behaviour. I want something that is totally solid which the handwriting in the SP3 isn't. I mean corners and edges and parallax are all real issues although for me the first two are non existent for the way I use it. Parallax, yes, it is a few tenths of one millimetre less in the SP3. It does allow a thinner screen and is probably cheaper to put the sensor in the pen too.

The bottom line to me is it has become annoying. If I used writing once a week I would certainly put up with a few idiosyncrasies as the SP3 is fantastic in every other measure. I use it several times a day for writing and sometimes double that so it is going back to Microsoft. I will miss it though but on the other hand I do love the handwriting on the SP2 and ironically that is one of the major reasons I was influenced to buy the SP3 as I am totally sold on the Surface concept.

Thanks for sharing your experience! If you're exchanging, I hope that helps. If you're returning and going back to SP2, enjoy it and maybe we'll see you around for SP4!

OP
I

InspectHerGadget

Thanks for sharing your experience! If you're exchanging, I hope that helps. If you're returning and going back to SP2, enjoy it and maybe we'll see you around for SP4!
Hey Buddy:

I'll be on this forum. I don't feel elated returning it, just disappointed as it was so good in so many ways. The stand out was probably the sheer speed of the i7, it is very, very fast. I have to carry a spare arc mouse with me for the SP2 which I didn't for the SP3. I can live with that I guess.

Points to Microsoft for the return policy and I haven't returned it lightly. It may be better business, maybe too, as it isn't good if people keep something that they have a major issue with and constantly bitch about it.

I'm going back to my i5/256G SP2. I know I will like the inking better but I know the limitations now too of the SP2 but it is a work tool and the SP2 is a good one.

I sent an email to Wacom too to tell them to come back for the SP4, I think they make a great product. I'm not convinced that active pens are the way to go. I think that there are too many potential communication and response time issues.

Liam2349

The pen requires a bit more pressure than the Wacom tech from SP2. Whether it's just because of the different technology, the differences in levels of pressure sensitivity, I don't know - I adapted after a couple of days and personally I like it.

I think the writing experience is quite personal and if you don't like it, that's just how it is.