What's new

Pen Sensitivity Issue

Cnthinkoname

I just got my surface book and the pen is not as sensitive as I would like. If I rest the pen on the screen, it will not write under its own weight, I must apply pressure to the pen before I get even the faintest line. Is this normal or something I should drive to the Microsoft store to have solved? So far I have tried:

- Sensitivity settings
- Reinstalling pen drivers
- Removing/Replacing pen tip
- Removing/Replacing pen battery
- Testing in multiple programs
- Restoring back to factory settings
- Installing all available updates

mtmowl

I have an i5, 8/256 gig SB with up-to-date drivers. If I hold the pen vertically and let it rest on the horizontal screen under its own weight, it doesn't write either. I need to apply the slightest bit of additional downward pressure to generate a thin line. More pressure produces increasingly wider lines, of course. I guess this is normal, and it hasn't been a problem for me. If you need to bear down on the screen, something might be amiss. BTW, I'm used to writing with fountain pens, which require NO additional pressure, so consider that as a comparison. The SB pen I use seems fine. A ballpoint pen on paper needs more pressure than my SB pen, but the SB pen still needs _some_ pressure to register.

OP
C

Cnthinkoname

I've tried the surface app, all it does is change the pressure to create a thicker line for me, not the initial pressure to get a line. I've noticed I can be much more gentle with my finger than I must be with the pen, hoping that it's just the pen itself.
I have an i5, 8/256 gig SB with up-to-date drivers. If I hold the pen vertically and let it rest on the horizontal screen under its own weight, it doesn't write either. I need to apply the slightest bit of additional downward pressure to generate a thin line. More pressure produces increasingly wider lines, of course. I guess this is normal, and it hasn't been a problem for me. If you need to bear down on the screen, something might be amiss. BTW, I'm used to writing with fountain pens, which require NO additional pressure, so consider that as a comparison. The SB pen I use seems fine. A ballpoint pen on paper needs more pressure than my SB pen, but the SB pen still needs _some_ pressure to register.
It definitely requires more than just a ballpoint pen on paper for me. It only bothers me because I have to press so hard when clickin on things or dotting an i that the whole screen moves behind the pen.

BubbaUK

Did the situation improve or change for you?

I'm finding exactly the same thing with my new SB, I have to press alarmingly hard to get it to register, and even drawing a line under quite high pressure causes segments to disappear.

I barely have to press at all on the SPro3 and that just works fine with it's pen.

BubbaUK

As an FYI, going through a firmware update & many numerous Windows updates, the pressure issue seems to have gone away completely & I can scribble away happily now.