What's new

Pen stopped working - any suggestions?

idlehen

I've had my Surface Pro for over a year now and the pen has stopped working. I don't use it that often so I'm not entirely sure if this is perhaps due to the Win 10 upgrade or not. I've tried uninstalling all mouse/pointer device drivers and restarting. I've also tried manually installing Wacom's drivers, though maybe I got the wrong ones... The pen doesn't have batteries does it?

Does anyone have any suggestions? I don't really use the pen that often but I'm upgrading to either the Surface Pro 4 or the Surface Book and would like to give my Pro 1 to someone in full working condition. Thanks in advance!

leeshor

Welcome to the forum

You may have gone to a lot of trouble for a dead battery. Triple A.

hughlle

Super Moderator
Staff member
Welcome to the forum

You may have gone to a lot of trouble for a dead battery. Triple A.

Tell me i'm wrong but i was under the impression wacom pens do not use batteries? Or is the Sp1 pen something slightly proprietary?

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
The TIP is probably worn out, contacting support the will be able to send 3-5 new ones, just make sure you specify that you need the Wacom Tips for the SP1 or SP2...

OP
I

idlehen

The TIP is probably worn out, contacting support the will be able to send 3-5 new ones, just make sure you specify that you need the Wacom Tips for the SP1 or SP2...
Does the tip wear out even if I haven't been using it? I'm pretty sure I've only used it a handful of times since I've received my Pro. But thanks for the reply! I'll contact support and see if changing the tips fixes it.

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
Does the tip wear out even if I haven't been using it? I'm pretty sure I've only used it a handful of times since I've received my Pro. But thanks for the reply! I'll contact support and see if changing the tips fixes it.
OK....if you haven't been using it, pull the tip out and reset it (it is an undocumented reboot of Wacom Pens). Also make sure the Surface Digitizer is showing up under device manager.

OP
I

idlehen

OK....if you haven't been using it, pull the tip out and reset it (it is an undocumented reboot of Wacom Pens). Also make sure the Surface Digitizer is showing up under device manager.
I tried pulling out the tip and putting it back in but no luck.

In my device manager I see:
Under "Human Interface Devices"
HID-compliant digitizer
HID-compliant pen
Wacom Device

Under "Mice and other pointing devices"
HID-compliant mouse (two of these)

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
I tried pulling out the tip and putting it back in but no luck.

In my device manager I see:
Under "Human Interface Devices"
HID-compliant digitizer
HID-compliant pen
Wacom Device

Under "Mice and other pointing devices"
HID-compliant mouse (two of these)
If there isn't a hardware malfunction on the Surface then I would order a new stylus.... they can break. If you can't find a Microsoft one, any Wacom Penenable or Wacom Feel should work.

khit

I have been experiencing the same issue so I purchased a T5000 digitizer pen and still no luck. Is it possible that this is a windows 10 driver issue?

OP
I

idlehen

Since I have my Surface Book now, I'm just going to do a factory reset of my Surface Pro 1 when I have time and see if that fixes it. I'll post an update when I get to it (this weekend hopefully).