What's new

Pens intermittently stop working

awwshoot

Sorry, didn't search before posting this and cannot find the delete. :(

Hello,

We ordered 21 Surface Pro 4s for work. 3 or 4 of them have an issue where the Pen stops working intermittently requiring me to open the pen and close it again before it works. 1 will just stop working for a short time even after replacing the battery.

Any one else having these issues?

Last edited:

leeshor

Have you tried pulling out the pen nib and reinserting it? That seems to do some sort of reset.

OP
A

awwshoot

Have you tried pulling out the pen nib and reinserting it? That seems to do some sort of reset.

Yes, it seemed to bring one back. the others mainly just need the top of the pen opened and closed again.

Bit frustrating to start fighting with these pens when the majority of them were just handed out yesterday! I have been using mine for a few weeks without issues as well as the first 5 to our Super User group with only one of those having random pen hiccups.

So far though better than the Latitude XT2 Rollout I did years ago. had to have 11 out of 20 pens replaced straight out of the package! LOL No one wants a pen writing 1/4" off the screen! LOL

OP
A

awwshoot

Yes, it seemed to bring one back. the others mainly just need the top of the pen opened and closed again.

Bit frustrating to start fighting with these pens when the majority of them were just handed out yesterday! I have been using mine for a few weeks without issues as well as the first 5 to our Super User group with only one of those having random pen hiccups.

So far though better than the Latitude XT2 Rollout I did years ago. had to have 11 out of 20 pens replaced straight out of the package! LOL No one wants a pen writing 1/4" off the screen! LOL
Been reading a bunch of these posts on pens not working and quite a few require opening and closing the top of the pen. Hope it is just a software issue that will be corrected.

dcoplien

Mine had very fine metal shavings in the tube that were shorting it out. Took it in for a replacement.

Votality

I know this sounds silly but you have tried changing the batteries right ? And you do know it uses two sets of batteries?

One set of coin cells and one aaaa alkaline battery. (Coin cell for the button, aaa for drawing)

I have seen people replace the wrong set and still complain their pen doesn't work.

edalsie

leeshor clued me in on the removable nib... now I find there are two button batteries (I just checked and found two of them) I didn't know about!
Thanks!

edalsie

The top of the pen, behind the 'paper clip' is a slightly different shade-- at least on my pen. Twist that top off, which is, of course how you change the AAAA battery. You should see a spring and two notches... that part unscrews (use the notches carefully as leverage-- it couldn't be much more inconvenient)... you should find two small button batteries.

Aimz

I know this sounds silly but you have tried changing the batteries right ? And you do know it uses two sets of batteries?

One set of coin cells and one aaaa alkaline battery. (Coin cell for the button, aaa for drawing)

I have seen people replace the wrong set and still complain their pen doesn't work.
Sorry guys but are we talking about a sp4 pen or the sp3 pen because the sp4 only has 1 battary last time i checked

edalsie

...and the SP3 pen has two coin batteries (in addition to one AAAA). That was the pen I had my problems with.