What's new

People Actually thinking the Lumia 2520 can compare to Surface Pro 2 Performance..lol

demandarin

I was on Appy Geek reading an article from Product Review. I had to stop and post this. They are trying to make it seem like the Surface Pro 2 is in trouble from this new Nokia RT tablet. itd be more understandable if they trying to compare to Surface 2. but nooo, they going for the big dog..haha

what kind of koolaid are these people sipping on? They reporting that a lot of people are wanting to see a Showdown between the Lumia 2520 and the New Surface Pro 2 with Haswell. They even had the nerve to report that they heard reports this week saying that the new Haswell i5 with HD4400 wont even come close to the performance of the new Qualcomm Snapdragon 800 ARM chip in the Lumia. OMG! I just want to slap whoever comes up with this b.s. They actually think this ARM chip can compare and beat out an i5 processor with intel integrated graphics.

For starters the Haswell i5 is lightyears more powerful than even QUALCOMM latest chip. what are they smoking? then although the snapdragon 800 has a great gpu for ARM based stuff, or even running RT, it cant hold a candle to even the original surface pro graphics capabilities.

One fear I have, is that these people are getting things mixed up. Logic would tell us they really mean compared to surface 2. even then, its a close race. the tegra4 outclasses QUALCOMM cpu wise and the QUALCOMM beats out tegra4 gpu wise. Ok, I get it. But are people thinking this new lumia 2520 runs the full windows OS? I think there must be confusion that at least this one Product Review site is spreading. Because the Lumia runs RT and its competiton is the Surface 2. Not the SUrface pro2.

Your thoughts on this madness? I couldn't believe this was actually an article.

oion

Tech journalism: So desperate to make dramatic news for advertising click-throughs that they pretend mobile OSes are the same as full desktop OSes because they all prefer Apple for teh kool factor anyway. Who needs facts? :rolleyes:

The only tech editor I have any respect for at the moment is Lisa Gade... because she "gets it."

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
RISC and CISC are very different architectures, ARM is a Reduced Instruction Set Computing (RISC) and x86 is a Complex Instruction Set Computing, each has their strengths and weaknesses.

For many tasks the CISC will come out on top, but I will tell you for VOIP (Lync/Skype) my Surface 2 blows my Pro 2 out of the water on the same network, but for most Business Tasks x86 will come out on top.

mitchellvii

Anything "RT" has a basic problem - it is considered "less than full Windows". That is, it brings "anti-status". People don't think of iOS as "less than full Apple" because it was introduced when it was impossible to place a full desktop OS on a tablet - that is, it has had time to build brand loyalty. When you tell someone you have an RT tablet you are basically saying, yep, I went economy car. RT has zero sex appeal.

But RT has been "refreshed" when the technology is now available to have full Windows on a tablet for the same or lower price than RT. You may argue, well RT is simpler and less open to hacking, but c'mon, it's "less" than full Windows.

RT is dead and Bay Trail murdered it.

P.S., Microsoft could have saved Surface 2 by including a pen but as usual, they cheaped out and didn't. The pen would have have added some much needed sex appeal and satisfied the "not the best but good enough" crowd. Also it would have made the Surface 2 hugely attractive to students who wish to take notes in class without typing (and annoying everyone).

There are a lot of people who aren't looking for a laptop replacement but simply a cheap tablet that supports Windows and can run Office. For this crowd a pen might have sealed the deal, but MS left that to the true innovators like Dell with their Venue 8 (which costs $299 includes a freakin pen).

Last edited:

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
Anything "RT" has a basic problem - it is considered "less than full Windows". That is, it brings "anti-status". People don't think of iOS as "less than full Apple" because it was introduced when it was impossible to place a full desktop OS on a tablet - that is, it has had time to build brand loyalty. When you tell someone you have an RT tablet you are basically saying, yep, I went economy car. RT has zero sex appeal.

But RT has been "refreshed" when the technology is now available to have full Windows on a tablet for the same or lower price than RT. You may argue, well RT is simpler and less open to hacking, but c'mon, it's "less" than full Windows.

RT is dead and Bay Trail murdered it.

P.S., Microsoft could have saved Surface 2 by including a pen but as usual, they cheaped out and didn't. The pen would have have added some much needed sex appeal and satisfied the "not the best but good enough" crowd. Also it would have made the Surface 2 hugely attractive to students who wish to take notes in class without typing (and annoying everyone).

There are a lot of people who aren't looking for a laptop replacement but simply a cheap tablet that supports Windows and can run Office. For this crowd a pen might have sealed the deal, but MS left that to the true innovators like Dell with their Venue 8 (which costs $299 includes a freakin pen).

Except that Bay Trail struggles running the legacy Win32 code that everyone touts as why its superior to ARM and Dell went with an unproven and poorly implemented digitizer which is proving to be a very poor inking experience, I get a better inkling experience with my Adonit Jot Pro on my RT/Surface 2 than people are getting on the new Dell Venue 8 Pro. Huge thread on experiences with inking on the device in the Dell Forum at Dell Tablet Forum inc. Dell Latitude Tablet look in the owner's lounge around page 33.

Except that Bay Trail struggles running the legacy Win32 code that everyone touts as why its superior to ARM and Dell went with an unproven and poorly implemented digitizer which is proving to be a very poor inking experience, I get a better inkling experience with my Adonit Jot Pro on my RT/Surface 2 than people are getting on the new Dell Venue 8 Pro. Huge thread on experiences with inking on the device in the Dell Forum at Dell Tablet Forum inc. Dell Latitude Tablet look in the owner's lounge around page 33.

Plus BayTrail's GPU performance sucks, frankly. And it's not the same battery experience.

OP
D

demandarin

the pen for the dell has to be purchased separately. its not included. I could be wrong but impressions on another forum seemed like it wasn't. but the inking is pretty horrible on it. still a neat device though.