What's new

People's reactions to Surface?

CrippsCorner

Caught up with an old friend a couple of days ago, he's into gaming mostly, but also told me he had someone build a new PC for him. Anyway, I mentioned I had purchased a Surface and his only knowledge of it was, "Is that the one with the seperate keyboards?"
starstruck.png
didn't know anything about what it does or any kind of spec etc. Microsoft you're terrible at advertising (especially in the UK)

nicholas1983

I had someone say to me: "Is that the clicky tablet?".

I remember just before Christmas that silly advert with people jumping around was being constantly shown. I remember getting sick of it! A really bad advertising campaign that only showed the kickstand and the magical ability to hold the tablet upside down while holding onto the keyboard (I still haven't tried this).

Nuspieds

I had both co-workers and most recently a flight attendant recognize that it was a Surface and they were impressed! They knew it by name and the flight attendant knew that I had the Pro and not RT.

TeknoBlast

Heck, when I walk into work with my Surface, I walk in dancing and doing the click sound. Everyone else wish they had one to join in the fun with me.

pallentx

I had someone say to me: "Is that the clicky tablet?".

I get that a LOT. But its usually followed by something like "Those look really cool!" - then I realize MS might be onto something in their advertising. Sales is all about sex appeal. It can have all the best features, but if something else inferior, but sexy comes along, forget it...

lethal.industry

HI guys im planning to buy a surface pro tomorrow in singaproe. is it still advisable to get one knowing that there's gonna be a surface 2 coming out? im kind of hesitant now because there might be a huge price drop once the surface 2 comes out

nicholas1983

It definitely created a buzz around the product and for that the advert was good. But, it wasn't followed up with more informative adverts after the buzz around it had been created; adverts like this would have been great. For the Surface one advert was not enough!
[video=youtube;l4wu8pm7FSg]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l4wu8pm7FSg[/video]

I remember reading somewhere that Microsoft has over taken Apple as the company all the kids think is cool. Definitely helped by the Surface!

Last edited:
OP
CrippsCorner

CrippsCorner

I remember reading somewhere that Microsoft has over taken Apple as the company all the kids think is cool. Definitely helped by the Surface!

Definitely not here. Everyone complains about Microsoft, daily... I'm kinda sick of defending them tbh! Also, no one has a clue what Surface is. There's literally no point in saying that word, I just say "Microsoft tablet" now because I've just had to explain what the Surface is too many times!

Very disappointed when I went to John Lewis the other day, one of only two physical shops you can buy Surface from in the UK. There was no Surface there, which was confusing, although I've seen it in a different John Lewis shop. The Apple section was 150% the size of everything Windows related. The Windows stuff was shoved in the back corner, with no one looking. If things carry on like this I see Apple hardware overtaking Microsoft in a few years.

Last edited:

Nuspieds

If things carry on like this I see Apple hardware overtaking Microsoft in a few years.
Really? As in the roles are reversed where Windows PCs are no longer dominant but those by Apple are?!

Nothing is impossible, but I certainly don't see that "in a few years."

OP
CrippsCorner

CrippsCorner

Maybe not in the business world, but consumers simply don't 'want' Microsoft products... Apple Mac's are beautiful and cool, and something to show off, and it's what people want! I guess the biggest barrier is still the price.

mitchellvii

HI guys im planning to buy a surface pro tomorrow in singaproe. is it still advisable to get one knowing that there's gonna be a surface 2 coming out? im kind of hesitant now because there might be a huge price drop once the surface 2 comes out

Actually we DON'T know there will be a Surface 2. Microsoft never mentioned it even once during their entire Build Conference.

mitchellvii

Apple's advantage over Microsoft is that Apple understands most people are technology IDIOTS and designs their products for them. Microsoft assumes people have some small bit of technical understanding, which is a mistake.