What's new

Performance Base can be used with any SB Clipboard (screen)

sharpuser

Administrator
Staff member
While responding to this thread (Query on Surface Book Power Base), I discovered something.

I own two Surface Book devices: A Surface Book with Performance Base 1TB, and the original Surface Book 512GB. Either of the clipboards can be detached from the keyboard base and interchanged with the other. The clipboards (screens) can be attached normally, or reversed/folded back.

I have microSD cards in each base. The cards were immediately and properly recognized by the new clipboard. Each pen remains paired to its respective clipboard.

The Performance Base or original keyboard base can be used with the original edition Surface Book clipboard, or clipboard sold as part of the Surface Book with Performance Base.

At the time of this writing, the base (keyboard) and clipboard (screen) are not sold separately.

surfacebooks.jpg

hughlle

Super Moderator
Staff member
Honestly, I would not have expected anything less. No logical reason for it not to work. But good to get confirmation none the less.

wynand32

I was hoping that no hardware/firmware pairing would hinder swapping units. Confirmed.

This is an aside, but I notice that in your image the screen colors are pretty different between the two SBs. Is that just an artifact of the image, or is that how they look in real life? I'm asking because I'm not 100% sold on this SB I'm giving a try, and I'm considering going with a Performance Base instead (once I decide if an SB2 is possible in Spring). I'd be less likely to switch it the screens vary on SBs like they do on SP4s--this one has an excellent screen that I'd hate to swap for a lesser one.

I know that Microsoft individually calibrates these screens at the factory, and so there shouldn't be any noticeable color differences, but your image made me wonder.

OP
sharpuser

sharpuser

Administrator
Staff member
@wynand32 , There is no difference in the image brightness, color, sharpness, or quality between my two clipboards. I cannot tell by looking at the screen which unit is which. In fact, I only tell the difference by looking at the pen.(2 different colors).

wynand32

@wynand32 , There is no difference in the image brightness, color, sharpness, or quality between my two clipboards. I cannot tell by looking at the screen which unit is which. In fact, I only tell the difference by looking at the pen.(2 different colors).

Awesome, thanks!

Lobo

To bad the performance base isn't available separately, I don't know what they're thinking. While I wouldn't consider buying another complete unit, I'd definitely go for the improved base (once they're available in the old world).

wynand32

Another question for you, since you're the only person I know who has both machines side-by-side... Is there any difference in the keyboard between the two?

OP
sharpuser

sharpuser

Administrator
Staff member
The Surface Book with Performance Base has a better keyboard. Keys are in a slight "well", meaning their button travel is from flush with the top surface to a point slightly deeper than the Surface Book. Each key leaks less light from around its perimeter, and the key action feels better - slightly more resistance to the press, so a bit less of the "chicklet" feel of some slim keyboards. But I emphasize that these differences are very slight. The original Surface Book keyboard is very comfortable too.

wynand32

The Surface Book with Performance Base has a better keyboard. Keys are in a slight "well", meaning their button travel is from flush with the top surface to a point slightly deeper than the Surface Book. Each key leaks less light from around its perimeter, and the key action feels better - slightly more resistance to the press, so a bit less of the "chicklet" feel of some slim keyboards. But I emphasize that these differences are very slight. The original Surface Book keyboard is very comfortable too.

Thanks again. I'm really torn between sticking with the non-Performance Base or "upgrading." Costco now carries the Performance Base 16GB/512Gb, $2799 bundled with the Surface Dock, which is a LOT of money. The Core i5/8GB/256GB I have right now is probably fine, at $1499. But if you buy with the Costco Visa, then you get a total of four years of warranty--meaning the Performance Base would be a good long-term solution whereas I might grow out of the lower-end model more quickly.

Grrr...

OP
sharpuser

sharpuser

Administrator
Staff member
Picture yourself in a couple of years - when few will be wanting the Surface Book without the Performance Base, and other products are available. I don't know which way you would feel then, but you would be a bit closer to the technology updates.