What's new

Performance with Gbit USB 3.0 Adapter only on USB 2.0 levels

WoRie

Hi,

has anyone tried any of the USB 3.0 gBit adapters with his SP2? I've ran some tests with two different adapters, either connected directly to the usb port or on a USB 3.0 hub and iperf only shows transfer rates of around 300-350 Mbit (USB 2.0 has 400 mbit, minus the overhead results in such levels). The adapter shows up as USB 3.0 under devices. It's more than annoying since I've bought the Dock as well which has only 100 mBit ethernet (It's a mystery to me, who greenlighted this in 2013/14).

I've already tried jumbo packets etc. No difference.

jrapdx

Hi,

has anyone tried any of the USB 3.0 gBit adapters with his SP2? I've ran some tests with two different adapters, either connected directly to the usb port or on a USB 3.0 hub and iperf only shows transfer rates of around 300-350 Mbit (USB 2.0 has 400 mbit, minus the overhead results in such levels). The adapter shows up as USB 3.0 under devices. It's more than annoying since I've bought the Dock as well which has only 100 mBit ethernet (It's a mystery to me, who greenlighted this in 2013/14).

I've already tried jumbo packets etc. No difference.

While not directly a response to your question, I have been using a USB wireless adapter (D-Link AWA-171A). It's USB 2.x but does give a consistent 150 Mb/sec connection--better than the built-in adapter.

Also, I have a USB 3.0 hub for accessing USB 3.0 backup disks. This setup seems to work well, but I haven't measured transfer speed. Not yet anyway.

I have been interested in the ethernet adapters--I've seen them at various outlets, but off the top of my head don't remember their specs. However, I'm going to check into it. Exactly which adapters did you try?

JRA