What's new

Persistent issues with SP3 and Win 10

Kif

Three months since I updated to Win 10 on my Sp3 (i5, 8GB, 256 GB) and I'll still seeing a lot of persistent issues. I wanted to see of other users are experiencing similar issues.

• Hangs during a system reboot and I have to do a hard shutdown.
  • After a fresh boot-up Bluetooth is disabled and I have to reboot it to re-able it.
  • While docked in the docking stations the power button doesn't turn the machine on until I press it multiple times
  • Fonts scaling doesn't automatically adjust from when it's docked with a 1080p monitor and undocked using the built in screen.

OP
Kif

Kif

What sort of troubleshooting have you done? Have you tried doing a reset of Windows?

At this point I haven't done much. I didn't know if these are common Win10 issues or just issues I'm experiencing. My plan is to fully backup my systems and do a fresh Win 10 install once Threshold is released in a couple weeks. I'll probably also open up a ticket with Surface support since I have the complete warranty. The powering on issue might be hardware related.

johnj2803

At this point I haven't done much. I didn't know if these are common Win10 issues or just issues I'm experiencing. My plan is to fully backup my systems and do a fresh Win 10 install once Threshold is released in a couple weeks. I'll probably also open up a ticket with Surface support since I have the complete warranty. The powering on issue might be hardware related.

what TH release are you wating for? TH2 was released a couple of days ago... i think tuesday, Nov 3.

I am still on Win 8.1 and contemplating on updating really soon...

ScottyS

what TH release are you wating for? TH2 was released a couple of days ago... i think tuesday, Nov 3.

I am still on Win 8.1 and contemplating on updating really soon...
I think that was to Windows Insiders, I think it goes public next update Tuesday.

ScottyS

Three months since I updated to Win 10 on my Sp3 (i5, 8GB, 256 GB) and I'll still seeing a lot of persistent issues. I wanted to see of other users are experiencing similar issues.

• Hangs during a system reboot and I have to do a hard shutdown.
  • After a fresh boot-up Bluetooth is disabled and I have to reboot it to re-able it.
  • While docked in the docking stations the power button doesn't turn the machine on until I press it multiple times
  • Fonts scaling doesn't automatically adjust from when it's docked with a 1080p monitor and undocked using the built in screen.
There was an 11/2 firmware update for SB. Windows 10 Insider Preview Build 10586 released 11/5 is expected to be released to general public 11/10. I suppose it will fix some bugs but expect it to introduce some new ones for some.

@Kif it sounds like some of your persistent bugs are unique to you. Hanging during reboot sounds like a wayward process running in the background and a refresh install may fix it.
I sometimes get a dialog box of something still running or a process at some memory address while shutting down, but it closes before I can even click to Ok button.

I have always had the problem of fonts and icons being a bit off size-wise when connecting to my monitor while it's asleep. But if I connect while it's off or reboot after connecting and coming out of sleep, it scales it right for my monitor.

Reactions: Kif
OP
Kif

Kif

@Kif it sounds like some of your persistent bugs are unique to you. Hanging during reboot sounds like a wayward process running in the background and a refresh install may fix it.

I agree with your assessment. I'm going to attempt a clean install when Threshold 2 releases next week. It's a little dicey regarding how to activate the license after a clean install. So far no one has a clear answer. But my SP3 is still under the complete care warranty so I'm thinking the worst possible outcome in the phone call to support to sort it out.

leeshor

You don't have to activate after a clean install if you are already activated on 10. Just an fyi.