What's new

personal wireless storage

moester76

I'm looking for Suggs on a peripheral device that I can backup to, store media like music and movies, and be able to access on my tv and tablet wirelessly?

HD_Dude

I've been using the Seagate GoFlex Satellite since it came out.

Excellent solution, specifically for what you want to do.

Seagate Satellite Wireless | Seagate

There's no app for Win8 yet. But the drive puts out its own WiFi signal, and you can access the movies in full HD wirelessly via your browser, or your tablet's media player. Or of course you can hook it up via USB 3.0 too, but that would only be for situations in which you did not want to go wireless, like on a plane.

The video quality of this unit is amazing. Beautiful HD. Of course, I use only very high quality files, so my movies are usually 7-11 GB in size. But you will not be disappointed.

kristalsoldier

I've been using the Seagate GoFlex Satellite since it came out.

Excellent solution, specifically for what you want to do.

Seagate Satellite Wireless | Seagate

There's no app for Win8 yet. But the drive puts out its own WiFi signal, and you can access the movies in full HD wirelessly via your browser, or your tablet's media player. Or of course you can hook it up via USB 3.0 too, but that would only be for situations in which you did not want to go wireless, like on a plane.

The video quality of this unit is amazing. Beautiful HD. Of course, I use only very high quality files, so my movies are usually 7-11 GB in size. But you will not be disappointed.

Nice! Now I wish I hadn't bought the 64 GB expansion card. A 32GB card would have worked and I could have used this for everything else, since it is mobile. I like this a lot actually. How long does it take to charge up (I see on the page you linked it has a charge of 7 hours or so). Good thing is that one can load media plus documents, which is cool - like an AIO unit.

Edit: How does it work with Win 8? The system requirements say upto Win 7. Also, based on what you posted, this means that I could stream my media files and play them using any of the media apps available for RT (as long as they are capable of playing the file)? Thanks.

Edit 2: I was just reading a user-review of this and it was pointed out that "due to the way the wifi connection works, you're either connected to the device or you're connected to your Internet connection - you can't be connected to both at the same time..." Is this true?

Last edited:

HD_Dude

Nice! Now I wish I hadn't bought the 64 GB expansion card. A 32GB card would have worked and I could have used this for everything else, since it is mobile. I like this a lot actually. How long does it take to charge up (I see on the page you linked it has a charge of 7 hours or so). Good thing is that one can load media plus documents, which is cool - like an AIO unit.

I have never actually drained it - but I would trust the company's specs on charging.

Edit: How does it work with Win 8? The system requirements say upto Win 7. Also, based on what you posted, this means that I could stream my media files and play them using any of the media apps available for RT (as long as they are capable of playing the file)? Thanks.

Well, a couple of thoughts. I'm watching a movie on it right now, using my Surface Pro. Works perfectly. As soon as I turned it on and connected to its network, a browser automatically opened and showed the contents of the drive. I picked 'Beasts of the Southern Wild' which is on H.264 MP4, a HUGE file, like 12GB (ripped from my Blu-Ray) and it's gorgeous. No stuttering, no buffering, perfect. The HD is dazzling. Even without - an app.

That said, I have not tried it with an RT. But - it has WiFi and a browser, so it should work, no?

Edit 2: I was just reading a user-review of this and it was pointed out that "due to the way the wifi connection works, you're either connected to the device or you're connected to your Internet connection - you can't be connected to both at the same time..." Is this true?

Yes. That is true. So, you're either watching a movie - or you're on the internet. Not both. Glad you raised that point.

That's been fine with me. But as they say, YMMV.

Is the wireless plus from seagate the new satellite? Seems to have the same features, with a bigger driver and longer battery. Updated model perhaps?

Wireless Hard Drive, iPad Hard Drive | Seagate

Thank you! Yes, looks like a newer model. Twice the size for the same price??? I will buy one today. And kristalsoldier - if you're interested, get this one instead of the older model I mentioned. Bigger and better, for the same money.

Thanks again!

Last edited:

slvrdrgn123

The new one seems to let you stream and go online at the same time too.

"Stay connected.

You don’t need Internet to enjoy Wireless Plus, but this portable powerhouse gives you new options when you connect your tablet, smartphone, PC or Mac® computer to a Wi-Fi Internet hotspot.

Stream your music or movies from Wireless Plus while you’re surfing the web or checking email
Use Wireless Plus like an Internet hub: share a single paid hotspot Internet connection with up to 8 devices"