What's new

Phone calls?

Arizona Willie

I saw a commercial for Surface 3 that said it had 4g LTE --- does that mean you can use the tablet to make phone calls instead of carrying a phone and a tablet around?

It has NEVER made sense to me that they didn't design a phone into every tablet from the word go.

malberttoo

I saw a commercial for Surface 3 that said it had 4g LTE --- does that mean you can use the tablet to make phone calls instead of carrying a phone and a tablet around?

It has NEVER made sense to me that they didn't design a phone into every tablet from the word go.

Well the primary reason for built-in LTE is so that your Surface can get data/ Internet connectivity from your cell phone provider, and not have to be tethered to a phone. When you're working in the field or traveling or whatever. You could use a headset and Skype or some other such app to make and receive phone calls, sure.

That being said, I can tell you there are way more times when I want to carry around something the size of a phone (iPhone 6 in this case), than something the size of a tablet! Can you imagine having to lug a tablet around just to communicate?:eek:

Just think of all the joggers out there, with their headphones plugged into that tablet strapped to their arms. Or think of how large back pockets would have to be made so that people could pocket their tablets instead of their phones... but I digress lol. :)

leeshor

In a word, no, it doesn't turn the Surface into a phone. It's intended for data only.

hughlle

Super Moderator
Staff member
So far as I am aware, no data enabled tablets have the required aerials for calls and texts. You'd have to be able to make do with Skype, viber etc.

And it might make no sense as a consumer, but from a business point of view, it makes very good sense not to let you ditch your phone. Why let you have one contract and device when they can get you to buy 2? Same reason in the UK it is so difficult to find a non-business contract or cheaper contract that allows you to share your data between your handset and your tablet. They want you to buy more products. Basic business sense.

OP
Arizona Willie

Arizona Willie

Ahhh, but they make phablets ... phones that have < some > tablet capability ... you can even run Office and Excel etc. etc. on some of them and One Note and take notes just like on a tablet. Just not quite as big as a tablet. Windows Phones will do all of that mmmm not sure about the phones running full Office though.

hughlle

Super Moderator
Staff member
Ahhh, but they make phablets ... phones that have < some > tablet capability ... you can even run Office and Excel etc. etc. on some of them and One Note and take notes just like on a tablet. Just not quite as big as a tablet. Windows Phones will do all of that mmmm not sure about the phones running full Office though.

Yes, why its a controversial product. You're basically eating your own market. But the surface, iPad, note, nexus 7/9/10 etc are tablets, not phablet. Now if the s3 was being marketed as a phablet (after all, a phablet can be any size really) then you might question why it doesn't work. Phablet = phone + tablet. Tablet = tablet

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
Using a VOIP solution such as Skype Premium or Sky for Business you could make calls with it but you would eat up a lot of data. VOIP can use about 500KB/s

OP
Arizona Willie

Arizona Willie

The idea is that since they are putting 4G LTE in the Surface 3 tablet in order to be able to access the Internet without a Wi-Fi hotspot just EXACTLY like your cell phone and using the EXACT same technology --- why don't they put in phone capability --- it would be easy.

Then people who carry a computer around all day and a cell phone could drop the cell and only carry the tablet.

I realize it might be a small negative factor on some people's business but you would still have to have a contract with some cell phone provider ... you just wouldn't have to have and carry two items.

They would sell a few less cell phones but would still have the person as a subscriber to their service such as Verizon or T-Mobile.

It just seems they are brain - dead not to include the phone capability.

Using a VOIP solution such as Skype Premium or Sky for Business you could make calls with it but you would eat up a lot of data. VOIP can use about 500KB/s

leeshor

big phone.jpg

OP
Arizona Willie

Arizona Willie

Exactly. The tablet has front and back cameras just exactly like a phone.

And the pic is cute but also truthful.

I see people walking around with the damn things glued to their ear constantly. They can't take a breath unless they are talking to someone or vice versa.

As silly as it is, well, everyone and everybody ridiculed the concept of taking out and about photos with a tablet, yet you still can't avoid people doing just such a thing.