What's new

Phone charging with power supply USB port

mrschwarz

I have a Galaxy 5 phone. If I plug it into the USB port on the Surface, it charges fine. With the power supply plugged into the surface, the tablet charges, too. If I plug the phone into the USB port on the power supply, both the phone and the Surface charge goes on and off. Is this expected behavior? Am I doing something wrong? Any suggestions?

leeshor

Welcome to the forum

Having seen and used an S5 and looking at the charger you may be asking more of the charger than it can provide or the pinouts are different. The S5 doesn't use the standard single USB port so that may be a part of it.

Liam2349

I'll test this out later, but the SP2 brick charged my Note 3 just fine. I've not tried it with the SP3 brick yet.

OP
M

mrschwarz

The plug at the bottom of the phone is actually a micro USB plug and another (for something I haven't investigated yet). I am using the same charger and wire (std micro USB) that came with the original Galaxy to charge the S5 without a problem. When I plug the same wire into the USB port on the side of the Surface, it charges and connects to Windows. What do you mean by asking 'more of the charger than it can provide'?

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
The plug at the bottom of the phone is actually a micro USB plug and another (for something I haven't investigated yet). I am using the same charger and wire (std micro USB) that came with the original Galaxy to charge the S5 without a problem. When I plug the same wire into the USB port on the side of the Surface, it charges and connects to Windows. What do you mean by asking 'more of the charger than it can provide'?
Connected to the Surface USB port its drawing on the Battery.
Connected to the power brick it will be drawing directly from the brick.
Have you tried it when your Surface was fully charged?
The brick could be defective or may not supply enough for both the charge simultaneously.

OP
M

mrschwarz

Both are now fully charged. I'll try to keep the Surface charged today and charge the phone tonight. If it's a current issue, I would have thought that the power supply would limit charging current, rather than shutting down.

Thanks for your help.

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
Both are now fully charged. I'll try to keep the Surface charged today and charge the phone tonight. If it's a current issue, I would have thought that the power supply would limit charging current, rather than shutting down.

Thanks for your help.
Too early to draw a conclusion... it might be a design problem or it might be defective. When logic fails it may be illogical or ill-logical. :)

leeshor

The original cable for the S5 is not a standard micro USB cable, it has 2 connectors, not one. The SP3 charger isn't likely to operate with enough current to do both at the same time. If you are using a standard micro USB cable from another device all bets are off. Even though the Note's cable may look the same it's possible it isn't.

If the S5 was intended to use just the micro USB to charge then they would have provided one.

s5 charging cabl_.jpg

Liam2349

I can confirm that my SP3 power brick can charge my SP3 and Note 3 simultaneously, with the standard USB 3 charging cable.

Kif

It works perfect to charge my iPhone 5 and my SP3. Which is super convenient since isn't one less adaptor I need to carry around.