What's new

picture password trick

mtalinm

hi, I love the picture-password feature vs. having to type a PIN or password.

but I also find it is very finicky / strict - if your picture password includes a line and you draw it at a slightly different angle, it often won't match.

this annoys me, and I'm not super-worried about security (but my Exchange server requires it), so I chose a picture where the password involves tapping on a particular spot three times in a row. (picture password requires 3 "gestures")

very easy and never misses...at least on my Surface Pro, assume this works on RT as well

ArnoldC

Not in my experience. I can swipe three very long lines and still get it despite a slight difference in angles.
Sent from my Windows Phone 8S by HTC using Board Express

FFX

I use picture password on my RT and I also like it a lot. I don't have to be 100% accurate for it to work, but I believe it's very secure.

bosamar

My picture password seems to be very forgiving with my wild swipes.... I also love using the PIN.

souldier

Its good to use definite reference points in the picture if you're having problems with accuracy

HD_Dude

Guys - any chance you could explain how to set up picture password for the uninitiated?

And - since my p/w is the same on the Surface Pro as it is for Microsoft Live, will there be a disconnect? Like, will I have to do a picture password to get into Live on a different computer?

Thanks in advance.

chatterbot

the picture password is convenient but is less secure IMO opinion because it is harder to hide from other people who may be watching....or just casually looking in your direction. they will have your password.

Omni

I've found picture password to be very good but a couple of times I've had ones that are very difficult to get right. I just changed the gestures and most of the time that fixes it.

jamearl

Here's the link explaining how to set picture password.

Sign in with a picture password - Microsoft Windows

Here's how:

Here's how to set it up:
From the Settings charm, tap or click Change PC settings and then tap or click Users.

Under Sign-in options, tap or click Create a picture password and then follow the on-screen instructions.

If you don't see this option, check with your system administrator or see Why can't I create a picture password?

Here are some tips to keep in mind:

Don't make a picture password harder than it needs to be. Keep the photo simple and choose shapes that are easy to remember and to draw. For example, it's easier to draw on a close-up photo of your favorite pet than to tap the right individual tulip in a garden scene each time.

A picture password is limited to three gestures, and these must be some combination of circles, straight lines, and taps. Again, it's a good idea to keep it simple. It's easier to tap one person's nose than to trace a city skyline.

souldier

the picture password is convenient but is less secure IMO opinion because it is harder to hide from other people who may be watching....or just casually looking in your direction. they will have your password.

That's true. In such a case its easy to switch to pin or password. When its mainly to use while you're alone, i'd say its pretty secure

spudslatte

Initial attempts to use this feature have not been successful for me, but I am sure it is a case of "replace user and strike any key to continue"

Mr.Dan

well i think this function is a bit insecure... its really easy to reproduce, when you watch somebody doing it.. PIN and pswd is way more secure..... but it is nice and fast :)