What's new

Pin Office Document to Start?

john.calixte

Has anyone figured out how to pin an Office 2013 document to the Start screen?

Apologies if this has been discussed in another thread, but my searches can't find it. Thanks.

J515OP

Super Moderator
Has anyone figured out how to pin an Office 2013 document to the Start screen?

Apologies if this has been discussed in another thread, but my searches can't find it. Thanks.

No I don't think it has and it isn't intuitive. Thanks for checking first.

1. Create a shortcut to the file on the desktop.
2. Right click and go to Properties.
3. In the Target line add "explorer " with a space but not the quotes to the beginning of the line.
4. Right click the shortcut again and choose Pin to Start.
5. Delete the desktop shortcut if no longer desired.

JP

OP
john.calixte

john.calixte

Thanks for the solution - it works, but you'd think MS could come up with a less cumbersome method, especially for Office. Many other non-MS apps have the "Pin to Start" option.

But for now, your way works. Thanks again.

J515OP

Super Moderator
There may be an easier way but I don't know it ;) This actually goes back to adding items to the task bar in previous versions of Windows and it wasn't intuitive then. Even the "Pin to Start" option was available before but of course that meant the Start button menu before and not the Start Screen.

J515OP

Super Moderator
A simple addition to the right click 'Send to' would be nice.

You would think. It has to do with controls over what can go on the task bar though. The original intent wasn't allow individual files there only applications. Right? Wrong? Just the way MS decided to do it. The nice thing is you aren't prevented from work arounds unlike some OSes ;)

OP
john.calixte

john.calixte

Tile a File - I'm trying it out now. Not bad, but it seems to have trouble with Skydrive docs. It's a good start tho. Thanks for the tip!