What's new

Play MKV's on Surface

Mr.NK

Super Moderator
Aw: Play MKV's on Surface

@ Lauris: I did a test with a 1080p-file and everything was fine, although I just watched two minutes, but I also had tested a 1:1 copy of my Blu-ray via an usb-drive (just put it into a Mp4-container), and it played it nearly perfectly on my tv.

Lauris

@ Lauris: I did a test with a 1080p-file and everything was fine, although I just watched two minutes, but I also had tested a 1:1 copy of my Blu-ray via an usb-drive (just put it into a Mp4-container), and it played it nearly perfectly on my tv.

Thanks man for testing!

But still u converted from blu-ray to mp4-container? ...how about pure mkv 1080p, like 10gb big file (say downloaded from piratebay:) )? Is it really enough with hardware juice?

You tested usb-drive, i suppose flash drive? Have u tested some extern HDD trough that usb-port?

Mr.NK

Super Moderator

it was just a conversion of the container, so the Audio and Video-Stream was untouched. The Hardware acceleration worked perfectly and kept the cpu-usage on a low-mid-level. Only 2 or 3 framedrops, due to the small bandwith of the surface. So the surface is capable of playing 1080p content

mdfire

downloaded this app, its big > 350mb, but my favourite app so far. streamed mkv file ripped from band of brothers buuray stored on a nas perfectly

Lauris

downloaded this app, its big > 350mb, but my favourite app so far. streamed mkv file ripped from band of brothers buuray stored on a nas perfectly

It seems that this app cannot support mkv's with DTS, only AC3. And so far no .srt support either.

MSurfaceWA

It seems that this app cannot support mkv's with DTS, only AC3. And so far no .srt support either.

The latest update for mobile.HD player now lets it support DTS audio and subtitle support with the option to turn subtitles off and on. Just tried a DTS with subtitle 720p .mkv and it played perfectly!! I have tried iPads and Android tabs and have never found a program where it has worked as well as this. Kudos to mobile.HD, well worth it for anyone who plays .mkv files.

Mr.NK

Super Moderator

What's about dual language/audiostream support? This was the only issue to keep me away from buying it and go on with m8.

ZachBui

Video: MPEG-4 AVC
Audio: English, Japanese
Audio Bitrate: Vorbis ~Bitrate 48.0Kbps
Default Sub & Audio: English Audio with Non Dialogue Subtitles.
Resolution: 640x480
I just tried an mkv with the settings above and it won't let me play the file it seems. And I'm on the latest update of the program