What's new

Play MKV's on Surface

tomroeder

Anyone out there know of any way to play MKV's on surface yet? I haven't seen anything in the store yet, and really don't want to convert them every time I want to have a few movies on my Surface. Any ideas?

Mr.NK

Super Moderator
Sry, no new app since last time. It's a little bit inconvenient, but since most of the mkv-files contain h264 video and ac3 audio, i just copy audio and video stream to the new container - done in a minute.

antmantucan

You can try the newly release YXPlayer in the Windows RT store. I haven't tried it but it says it supports .mkv's. I'm curious how it works. Please report back if you try it.

Mr.NK

Super Moderator
Aw: Play MKV's on Surface

If you read the comments, this program doesn't play mkv and the 9$ are a complete waste of money. I'm trusting that multimedia8 will have this feature in some future update.

ctitanic

I was one of the one wasting $9. It plays mkv, but you have to disable the hardware acceleration. The other thing is that there is not subtitle support neither a way to pick a different sound track. For some reason some mkv do not play at all.

Summarizing, still a project in progress. The good news is that it proves that mkv can be played in a Surface RT.
Sent from my Windows 8 device using Board Express Pro

nuprotocol

yep. its not ready for prime time. Did a chat with microsoft support from the surface website and received a full refund.

MSurfaceWA

New App that works with mkv files

There is a new app in the app store that plays mkv files! Unlike the other app mentioned in this thread, this one has a trial and i tested it out and it works with 720p mkv's. The only limitation right now appears to be the lack of support for DTS audio, but they said its on the roadmap. The app is called mobile.HD media player and is $2.49, but comes with a free trial. 720p video looks great on the Surface!

nuprotocol

There is a new app in the app store that plays mkv files! Unlike the other app mentioned in this thread, this one has a trial and i tested it out and it works with 720p mkv's. The only limitation right now appears to be the lack of support for DTS audio, but they said its on the roadmap. The app is called mobile.HD media player and is $2.49, but comes with a free trial. 720p video looks great on the Surface!

awesome news! I'll test at home.

Mr.NK

Super Moderator
Aw: Play MKV's on Surface

I saw this a few hours ago and did a test - it worked fine with every mkv-file, except the one with dts. I won't buy this at the moment and wait for the further updates (btw. i didn't read anything about the restrictions of the demo). Since i have to convert movies with dts-audio-track, the features of Multimedia8 are more useful than the posibility to Play mkv native.

Lauris

Hi everyone!
I don't have Surface yet, but considering buying one if it can do some things I need :) I need answers from someone who has Surface at home.
I see that apps starting to come and mkv files can be played, but not all (just those with ac3 audio). Can Mr.Nk or someone else confirm that if u play 1080p mkv, can u see some lag or just everything floats perfect?
Because of small space of Surface I would like to connect an extern HDD via USB and play 1080p mkv files. Then I would connect Surface to my projector trough HDMI-cable to show movies at big screen :)
Have someone tried to connect an extern HDD trough USB? Recognize Surface it?
I'll follow this thread to read progress of playing mkv:s.
Thanks in advice!

blind

great :D

but no .srt support :( I will wait for it