What's new

Play/Pause button for INactive media window?

I do a lot of transcribing and taking notes from audio programs, and often switch back and forth between MS Word and my media player (VLC). How can I make the Play/Pause button on the type keyboard function when VLC is not the active window?

ArnoldC

Talk to the developer and ask them to get it right. The built-in music application, Media Monkey, Deezer, Nokia Music, can be controlled (volume +/-, mute, pause/play) even if not the active app.

OP
W

whiteblazer01

Talk to the developer and ask them to get it right. The built-in music application, Media Monkey, Deezer, Nokia Music, can be controlled (volume +/-, mute, pause/play) even if not the active app.

That's good to know. Maybe I'll use the built-in media app. I'm only playing mp3 files, nothing unusual.

OP
W

whiteblazer01

Windows Media Player doesn't seem to have keyboard shortcuts for rewinding 5-10 seconds (which I use often), and Media Monkey (which I just downloaded from their website) doesn't respond to the play/pause button when the inactive window.

ArnoldC

Media Monkey does, I use it everyday. And why download from their website and not from the store? If it is the desktop version, that is not what I'm using.

Last edited:
OP
W

whiteblazer01

Media Monkey does, I use it everyday. And why download from their website and not from the store? If it is the desktop version, that is not what I'm using.

The button works, but only if it's the active window... at least for me.

I can't download from the store (I don't have a Live account), so I got it from their website, and it runs as a desktop version.

OP
W

whiteblazer01

Okay, problem solved. VLC does allow this feature, I just didn't know about it. It's in the preference settings under 'global hotkeys'. I tried this out, closed and reopened VLC, and got it to work. Here is a screenshot of the settings menu in VLC in case anyone else is looking to do the same.

vlc.jpg