What's new

Playing DVD

ctitanic

Yesterday I decided to check if I could play a DVD on my desktop PC by sharing it's DVD Drive and accessing from my SP3.

It works!
Capture.JPG

grumpy

I actually have Mkv copies of all my DVDs but making the copy of Godzilla I decided to test this possibility.
But DVDs are soooooooo low res - what a waste on the SP3.... And why MKVs? Unless you are specifically taking advantage of specific features provide by MKVs, MP4 is more widely supported (e.g. XBOX Video App).

Personally, I prefer to cut out the middle man....
pirate-bay-2011-05-12.jpg

kundas1

yes, yes we know your a pirate matey! but other people perhaps like to use more legitimate sources of media and still use the DVD because not only did they invest money in their library but don't want to illegally download stuff. Also some people don't know how to rip and burn movies so they stick to what they know..... DVD's. So this is another way that frank is showing us another way to watch dvd's which I find kool and didn't know we could do it that way.. whether YOU think its antiquated is a matter of YOUR opinion.. others find it interesting.

mohcho

This is nothing new. Sharing a DVD drive from one system to another has been present in Windows for a long time. I used it ages ago when a DVD drive in a desktop system died and I needed to install programs using a DVD drive in another system.

Ironic about that pirate image. Probably many people on this forum and online as well have never actually used an audio cassette.

grumpy

yes, yes we know your a pirate matey! but other people perhaps like to use more legitimate sources of media and still use the DVD because not only did they invest money in their library but don't want to illegally download stuff.
FYI, ripping protected DVDs is also illegal in the US (and other countries). In for a penny, in for a pound, I say...
whether YOU think its antiquated is a matter of YOUR opinion..
Nope - It is still antiquated... even if it is new to you...:rolleyes:

others find it interesting.
Perhaps to those just waking from a two decade coma...

Last edited:

kundas1

FYI, ripping protected DVDs is also illegal in the US (and other countries). In for a penny, in for a pound, I say...

Nope - It is still antiquated... even if it is new to you...:rolleyes:

Perhaps to those just waking from a two decade coma...

dude what ever YOU think doesn't matter, I know TONS of people still using dvd's or Blu-ray's so get over yourself :rolleyes:

anyways, thanks frank for showing people how they can use their DVD's over their network...

OP
ctitanic

ctitanic

But DVDs are soooooooo low res - what a waste on the SP3.... And why MKVs? Unless you are specifically taking advantage of specific features provide by MKVs, MP4 is more widely supported (e.g. XBOX Video App).

Personally, I prefer to cut out the middle man....
I prefer mkv because I can save the subtitles in multiple languages, English and Spanish. MP4 does not allow me to do that. I prefer DVD because 480p resolution allows me to create files that are around 1GB maximum 2 GB. So I'm saving space on that. I only convert to HD movies where having HD is really a plus.

OP
ctitanic

ctitanic

dude what ever YOU think doesn't matter, I know TONS of people still using dvd's or Blu-ray's so get over yourself :rolleyes:

anyways, thanks frank for showing people how they can use their DVD's over their network...
You are welcome.

bluegrass

Can you rip Blu-ray's to MP4? I only speak and understand English so I don't need MKV format. I'd like to make some of my Blu-ray library available to watch on my Surface on the road without carrying around a USB Blu-ray player.