What's new

Playing DVD

OP
ctitanic

ctitanic

Can you rip Blu-ray's to MP4? I only speak and understand English so I don't need MKV format. I'd like to make some of my Blu-ray library available to watch on my Surface on the road without carrying around a USB Blu-ray player.
Yes, you can rip Blu-rays to MP4.

bluegrass

Thanks Frank. I just Googled and found that the latest version of Handbrake will do the job but first you use AnyDvd HD to rip the original Blu-ray disk to your computer & than you convert it to MP4 with Handbrake. They say using the two step process is faster than trying to rip and convert in one process. Sounds like a job for my i7 desktop that has a Blu-ray player installed in it. I'll pick a Blu-ray out of my library of DVD's and try it. Just a heads up, AnyDvd HD has a free trial for 21 days but after that you need to purchase a 2 year license for about $100.

OP
ctitanic

ctitanic

Thanks Frank. I just Googled and found that the latest version of Handbrake will do the job but first you use AnyDvd HD to rip the original Blu-ray disk to your computer & than you convert it to MP4 with Handbrake. They say using the two step process is faster than trying to rip and convert in one process. Sounds like a job for my i7 desktop that has a Blu-ray player installed in it. I'll pick a Blu-ray out of my library of DVD's and try it. Just a heads up, AnyDvd HD has a free trial for 21 days but after that you need to purchase a 2 year license for about $100.
I use a different method, I use the free DVDFab Passkey software. Once you have it running you can rip the DVD from handbrake.

OP
ctitanic

ctitanic

Also, I run the process in my desktop, the encoding process in handbrake can take from 3 to 4 hours in my desktop and ripping first and encoding after does not save any time in my experience of hundreds of DVDs.;)

strollin

Back to the original point of this thread, sharing a DVD drive across your network in order to play a movie really doesn't have anything to do with the SP3 (it's no surprise that it works), it has more to do with whether or not your network is up to snuff.

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
Did you notice the DATE the last post was made? After you've been in the grave for a while would you want someone to stroll by and wake you? ;)

I did notice the date, but if you don't want people to respond, close any thread that hasn't had any activity for at least 12 months.

Who's to say that any new member hasn't given Handbrake a go? Then again, copying a DVD.BR to another format is against the law (copyright laws) so to be safe, you best shut this down and delete all entries. You don't want the authorities on your butt, do you?

vsherry

I've been ripping a lot of DVDs and Blu-rays recently. I rip primarily for when I travel. If I am at home, I prefer to watch the disc in its full uncompressed glory. I really can't be bothered with how popular it is.

I choose MP4 because it casts better, for some reason.