What's new

Playing music - options

SnowWight

I am using xbox music but wondered if there is an alternative? Maybe something with a graphic equaliser or visualizations? - It would also be nice if I could chose gap-less playback. There just doesn't seem to be much choice with xbox music!:shocked:

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
I pay for Xbox Music Pass so that is what I'm using :)

There's Nokia Music and a few others....

Dane

I'm curious as well...I'm not crazy about xbox music, but I haven't come across any metro app alternatives. I tried to use Plex, but apparently I'm not smart enough to use it. :-/

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
Plex requires a Server Component to be installed and to have an Account, I use Plex for a Media Server to watch Twit.TV and Revision3.

I am using xbox music but wondered if there is an alternative? Maybe something with a graphic equaliser or visualizations? - It would also be nice if I could chose gap-less playback. There just doesn't seem to be much choice with xbox music!:shocked:
The alternative music player apps out there are pretty weak. Relatively speaking, Media Monkey is the "best" that I've found but it has difficulties properly handling id3 metadata tags.

macmee

Coming from OS X and iOS this is painful. I use iTunes and I'm slightly mad I cannot sync it with the metro music app.

kristalsoldier

Well... this is one of the first big issues that I have faced with the Surface 2. I want to play a certain video track which is a MP4 track. I find that I can't play it. I can't chooses it. I can choose folders (which I don't want to), but I can't choose a specific track in a specific folder. I tried this with Xbox Music (which sucks!), Media Monkey, and Multi Media 8. The only one that seems to work is Multi Media 8, but I always get an error saying that I need to install some stuff - details here: Download Media Feature Pack for N and KN versions of Windows 8 from Official Microsoft Download Center

Edit: BTw, the media track is saved on SkyDrive, which really should not matter.

Last edited:

ctitanic

Ok, the trick is to open file explorer, locate the file, do a right click and pick the application to Open With. Mp4 like mkv are like video containers. Within those you have tracks codified by what is called Codecs. So what's happening to your mp4 is that probably the video codec used is not installed in your Surface 2. That's the case with MKV files. They are not supported by MS by default. At this moment the only thing you can do is to use Apps that contain their own Codecs configured and "installed", like PowerDVD, Multimedia8, etc. The link posted by you points to the x86 version of the extra Codecs package needed by Windows to deal with some formats like DivX and Xvid. My guess is that your mp4 was created using one of these two. :wink:

All this counting with your mp4 file not being copy protected.

Last edited: